Trados 7.0 problems
Thread poster: Annika Hagdahl Manni

Annika Hagdahl Manni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:05
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 6, 2006

I'm not able to open up my old TM, already created. The program tells me that I have a demo version of Trados program. I have already installed the entire program again with a licence key, but the problem still exist. May I have pushed a button in the workbench and can I repair it. I worked with this TM and after having closed it it didn't work. I have tried to open it after that but it isn't workin, neither does other TM works.

Help me please!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
License Key Aug 6, 2006

Hi,
you write that Trados tells you that it is working in demo-mode, which would be a hint that it does not find the place where you have put the licence key file.
Try this: open the Help menu -> About -> Licence Manager.
Then you can "Change the license location", i. e. tell Trados where to find the key.
I hope this could solve your problem?

Best regards,
Heike

Yasu Hosomatsu  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:05
English to Japanese
+ ...
Did you try importing the old TM? Aug 6, 2006

Getting Started manual states the following:

IMPORTING A TRANSLATION MEMORY

If you are importing a translation memory from TRADOS version 6 or 6.5 export your old translation memory as a .txt file.

To export a translation memory:
1 In Translator’s Workbench 6.x open your translation memory
2 Select Export from the File menu.
3 Create an Export file with the extension *.txt.

To import a .txt file or a .tmx file:
4 Switch to Translator's Workbench 7.
5 Select Import from the File menu. The Import dialog box is displayed. Refer to the online help prior to making any choices on the Import dialog box.

Italy
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HEIKE; which button should I push? Aug 7, 2006

I have entered where you said I should enter, and where should I push, which button? In this moment it is pricked in the circle -Change licence location? Is that wrong?

[Edited at 2006-08-07 07:40]

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Is that your only problem? Aug 7, 2006

hagdahlmanni wrote:

I'm not able to open up my old TM, already created. The program tells me that I have a demo version of Trados program. I have already installed the entire program again with a licence key, but the problem still exist. May I have pushed a button in the workbench and can I repair it. I worked with this TM and after having closed it it didn't work. I have tried to open it after that but it isn't workin, neither does other TM works.

Help me please!!!

Is the only problem that you can't open old TMs?
Can you still use Trados 7 for other tasks, like creating new TMs,´analysing and translating? It's important for the understanding of your issue.

If you can't do anything at all, it seems that your license wasn't registered properly.
BUT: If you can still do other tasks, it's not a license problem.
Note that you don't have to convert old TM's from previous versions. Trados 7 is backwards compatible! (Although older versions are not forwards compatible with 7.0 TMs)

To me, it sounds more like a language pair issue. If you're running the Freelance version, you have a limited number of pairs, which I'm sure you're aware of. Are the TMs all in the pairs that you've selected for 7.0?

/Jan

Italy
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TO JAN Aug 7, 2006

I can't open another TM already created and I'm not able to create a new one. And as you say, I think it is or a language problem or a licence problem. I can though open a TM created by another computer, version 6 and in this moment I'm working on that one. As I have started to use Trados in this moment I don't really understand my problem. I have read in the manual that some versione allow only one installation. As I have had to reset my computer I have installed trados more than once, som maybe this is the problem. When i try to create a new TM my language pairs do not appear in the windows.

I have only installed 3 language; english, italian and swedish

Could you please help me,

thank you

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Uninstall all previous versions Aug 7, 2006

If you have conflicting installations, this is the most obvious culprit.

Try calling the Trados support, but the first answer they'll likely igve you is: take a backup of your TMs, uninstall all versions and make a clean new install.

Before you've done that, there's not much point troubleshooting here on Proz...

/Jan

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Moved the topic... Aug 7, 2006

to SDL Trados support forum, which is dedicated to this application.

Regards
Jerzy

Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
License Key (continuazione) ;-)) Aug 7, 2006

Hi again,
after you have reached that window I described before, you see that "Change the license location" is checke, right? So click on "Go >>" and Trados opens up another window where you can indicate the effective location of the license file. You have to chose "Add..." in order to go to this location, then clic OK. That shoud work - supposed it is really a problem of your license key.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7.0 problems

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs