Boost your career as a professional translator!

Boost your career as a professional translator! SDL hosts a virtual conference featuring a selection of free resources to help grow your freelance business, as well as an update on the new features of the world’s most trusted translation software - SDL Trados Studio 2017

Click for Full Participation

MS Word crashes when opening new segment with Trados
Thread poster: Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.)

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:52
English to Finnish
+ ...
Aug 7, 2006

Hello!

I am using Trados 5.5 and recently, while translating Word documents, I have started having the same error:

When I try to open a new segment (can be anywhere in a simple Word document with no complicated formatting), after having translated part of the document, Word crashes with this error message:

"Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
The information you were working on might be lost. Microsoft Word can try to recover if for you.
Recover my work and restart Microsoft Word. (tick box)
Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
We have created an error report that you can send to help us improve Microsoft Word. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.
To see what dat this error report contains click here."

There are two buttons: "Send Error Report" "Don't Send"

I had a look at the report and it contains data that is gibberish to me.

I'm not sure if this is a Trados problem or MS Word problem; Trados Workbench stays open and seems ok. Does anyone recognise this problem? Any suggestions what to do?

Thank you very much.
Minna

[Edited at 2006-08-07 18:21]

Direct link Reply with quote

Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:52
Member (2004)
English to French
I have the exact same problem with SDL Trados 2006 Aug 7, 2006

Which leads me to say I hate it and it's the worst purchase I made in my life. Sometimes it works, but the "clean file" option doesn't work, so I'm stuck to copy paste the segments in a new word file. It was supposed to make my life easier, it made it worse.

Nina

Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:52
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Remove MS Office update Aug 7, 2006

Hi Minna,

This is most probably caused by the June security update of MS Office.
Please have a look at this thread for solutions:
http://www.proz.com/post/370908#370908

Regards

Marek

Francesca Pezzoli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
You're right, Marek Aug 7, 2006

I'm having exactly the same problem since I installed Office Update: I removed it and now everything is fine again...
Hope all of you will resolve the problem too!

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
tw4winClean.Main? Aug 7, 2006

Hi Nina,
Sometimes it works, but the "clean file" option doesn't work, so I'm stuck to copy paste the segments in a new word file.

Have you tried using the 'manual' cleanup option using the tw4WinClean.Main macro?

Search this forum for more details; the macro has been discussed numerous times.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You don´t tell us anything about your Word... Aug 7, 2006

And it is usually a Word problem, not a Trados one.
Very likely your template(s) is(are) corrupted.
First copy a new Trados template from Trados installation folder to Word startup folder.
Then try Word again.
Possibly this will not help.
Then rename the Normal.dot to Normal.old and try again.
If it helped, your main template was corrupted. To restore the settings from your template consult Word help, asking for organising auto textes.
It is also very advisable to keep a clean copy of your working Normal.dot template in a secure folder on your PC for such ocassions.

After over 5 years now I can confirm, that Trados is working just as well as any other software on the market.

Regards
Jerzy

United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working Aug 7, 2006

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I removed the MS Office update KB908531 that is mentioned on SDL Trados website (I don't seem to have the update KB917335 on my computer at all).

This did not help.

Then, I copied a new Trados template (Trados5.dot) to my Word startup folder.

This did not help.

Then, I renamed my normal.dot to normal.old.

This did not help.

Then, I copied a normal.dot file from a different user's documents and settings to my own user folder (just in case their normal.dot file was intakt and mine corrupted).

This did not help.

Any other suggestions? I use Word 2002 and Trados 5.5 FL.

I do agree it's a Word problem.

Thanks a lot.
Minna

United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another thing Aug 8, 2006

Recently I have also started noticing that Trados opens a segment with several sentences, sometimes a whole paragraph even though the punctuation and spacing is as it should be for Trados to recognise one sentence as one TU.

When I try to shrink the segment (pressing Ctrl+Alt+Page Up) nothing happens, but if I keep pressing several times (sometimes quite a few times!) it does eventually shrink the segment.

This is another problem that has started happening very recently - probably at the same time when the Word crashing problem started.

Minna

Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Look in the MS office section of Add/Remove programs Aug 9, 2006

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) wrote:

I removed the MS Office update KB908531 that is mentioned on SDL Trados website (I don't seem to have the update KB917335 on my computer at all).

This did not help.

KB908531 is not an MS Office security pdate, but a Windows XP security update - these are two different things.

While Windows XP updates are close to the bottom of the Add/Remove Programs window (under W or U), MS Office updates are further up in the list (under M).

Look in the Microsoft Office section, you should find the problematic update there.

Regards

Marek

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I´m afraid something is broken in your Office installation Aug 9, 2006

This happens sometimes. It happened to me last Friday, as Word all of sudden stopped to work with numbered or bulleted lists and crashed at every possible occasion. BTW it is Word 2003 I mean, and this software is usually quite stable.
I tried to reinstall Office the usual way, but to no avail. First after calling MS support line I got the curcial information. I needed to delete (or better rename) the Office keys in the Windows registry and then reinstall Office. This worked.
Unfortunately the information I got is all in German, but maybe it will help you a bit. Please look at www.officeprobleme.com how to remove your Office from your PC and then reinstall it.
Prior to deinstalling Office I would deinstallt Trados and Multierm (be carefull: export your databases from MT first!) and rename all Trados related keys in HotKeyCurrentUser and HotKeyLocalMachine.
Then deinstall Office as described on the web page above.
Than reinstall Office, Trados and Multiterm. Keep this sequence.

Possibly it will help you

Regards
Jerzy

United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Marek and Jerzy! Aug 9, 2006

Marek, I don't have Windows XP, I am using Windows 2000. How is it possbile that there was a Win XP update on my computer??

I can't find any Office updates at all on my computer (only Windows 2000 hotfixes) and the update KB917335 is definitely not there.

Jerzy, is the information on www.officeprobleme.com the same information you got from MS support when you called them? I normally leave all tricky computer stuff for my husband to do but he does not understand German. Do you know if there is an English version of this somewhere?

Today I tried to clean-up the file that I had problems with. (I had copied those bits at which Word crashed to Notepad and removed paragraph numbers and then copied the text back into a blank Word document after which I could translate it with Trados. Then I copied my translation back to the main document.) At clean-up Trados created a bak file but the doc file disappeared and I got this error message:

"(-2147417851): RPC_E_SERVERFAULT (The server threw an exception.) File skipped!"

I found out that there is a cumulative patch from 2002 that should solve this problem but I noticed I already had this installed on my computer.

Do you think all the problems I been experiencing are connected? I will try uninstalling Office and hope for the best. Better make several back-ups first!!! :-0

Thanks for your help.
Minna

[Edited at 2006-08-09 22:36]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Adressing your issues Aug 9, 2006

Well, I don´t know Windows 2000 anymore, but I used it previously and found it a great relief after all the 9x sh...

As for the clean up: use the Word macro instead.
Press ALT+F8 and look for a macro called tw4clean.main. Let it run. This will clean up your document, but NOT update the TM. So transfer any changes manually into TM or keep a copy of the file for TM cleanup.

I´m sorry, but I don´t know a similar webpage in English.
And also this webpage does not contain what I was told by MS support (for the record: not the free one). The support told me I have to uninstall office, using the procedure described there and then install it back again.

The trick with renaming registry keys is really very helpfull. This helps adressing problems, as when used carefully you can eliminate some problems.

I keep my fingers crossed that it works for you.

Regards
Jerzy

xxxoldfox
English
check for smart tags Aug 16, 2006

We've been experiencing the same problem after the last security patch.
Investigation showed that MS Word always crashed in segments that had Smart tags. If the requester doesn't insist on keeping these in the file, they can be removed using Tools > Autocorrect options... > Smart Tags. If the document contains Smart Tags, the button "Remove Smart Tags" is active. Click on it and they're gone.
Has solved 99 percent of the cases in here.

Deniz Uysal  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:52
Turkish to English
+ ...
Thank You!!!! Jan 14, 2007

Dear oldfox, I can't tell you how grateful I am for your smartag suggestion. I have been dealing with the Word problem for many months and your solution has fixed my problem! As soon as I removed the smart tags the problem was solved. Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word crashes when opening new segment with Trados

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums