How to count bilingual files
Thread poster: Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:34
German to Spanish
Aug 9, 2006

I have a lot of files in two languages but only one language should be translate.

How can I analyse it.
To delete the other language is a option for a few files but a I have a lot, and with tonnes of tables, how can I mark the other language as NON TRANSLATE or so

Thks

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Delete by unique word Aug 9, 2006

Fernando Toledo wrote:
I have a lot of files in two languages but only one language should be translate. ... How can I analyse it?

How about deleting whole sentences based on what words they have in them. Use words that are common in the one language but unlikely to occur in the other.

For example, if I had a bilingual document in AF-ZA and EN-UK, I would notice that since the word "the" is unlikely to occur in a AF-ZA text, it would be safe for me to delete all sentences that contain "the" if I had wanted the retain only AF-ZA.

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I am speaking Aug 9, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:
I have a lot of files in two languages but only one language should be translate. ... How can I analyse it?

How about deleting whole sentences based on what words they have in them. Use words that are common in the one language but unlikely to occur in the other.

For example, if I had a bilingual document in AF-ZA and EN-UK, I would notice that since the word "the" is unlikely to occur in a AF-ZA text, it would be safe for me to delete all sentences that contain "the" if I had wanted the retain only AF-ZA.

about thousands of tables!
I though about a Search&replace or something like that to mark all the things that don't need to be translated (the other language) applied in all the docs at once.
Has +Plus tools this function?
Manually is no possible (or to much time)

Thks

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I can be done Aug 9, 2006

Hi Fernando,

It can be done, provided that the appropriate language (for the spellchecker) is set for the respective language.

Then you can use search and replace to search for the text in the respective language, and change its style to untranslatable.

Confirm that the languages are set in your language, and I will tell you what to do

Marek

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Aug 9, 2006

Marek Buchtel wrote:

Hi Fernando,

Confirm that the languages are set in your language, and I will tell you what to do

Marek

I can select the whole text and select the language to be translated... or?

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Search and replace Aug 9, 2006

I assume we are talking about MS Word, right?

What I mean is that each sentence has the appropriate language assigned to the text, i.e. when you run the spellchecker, it will, for example, check the English sentences in English, and the Spanish sentences in Spanish.

Then you can do the following (in MS Word, with Trados installed and Trados toolbar visible):

1) Press Alt+F8
2) In the window that appears, select the macro "sAddTagStyles" and click Run<
... See more
I assume we are talking about MS Word, right?

What I mean is that each sentence has the appropriate language assigned to the text, i.e. when you run the spellchecker, it will, for example, check the English sentences in English, and the Spanish sentences in Spanish.

Then you can do the following (in MS Word, with Trados installed and Trados toolbar visible):

1) Press Alt+F8
2) In the window that appears, select the macro "sAddTagStyles" and click Run
3) Press Ctrl+H (or select Edit->Replace from the menu)
4) Place cursor in the Find field, click on More and then Format, and then select Language. In the list, select the langugage, which you do NOT want to translate. Click OK
5) Place cursor in the Replace field (back in the Replace window)
6) Select the button Format agaim at the bottom of the Replace window, and then choose Style
7) From the list. select the style tw4winExternal, then click OK
8) Now you can click Replace All (back in the Replace windows)

All the text with the respective language will change to the tw4winExternal style, which Trados regards as untranslatable.

Pretty complicated, huh?
Well, I am not good at explaining. If anything is unclear, just ask
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
OK Aug 9, 2006

Pretty complicated, huh?
Well, I am not good at explaining. If anything is unclear, just ask

Is all OK, I will give it a try tomorrow!

Thnks!

Regards

Fernando

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:34
Swedish to English
+ ...
Thanks Marek Aug 10, 2006

An excellent solution, Marek, thank you for explainng it so well.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Why should the number of tables matter? Aug 10, 2006

Fernando Toledo wrote:
I am speaking about thousands of tables!

So am I.

Well, you'd have to write a macro or search/replace regex that marks all text from the beginning of a setnence to the end of a sentence, if that sentence contains the offending word, but my macro writing skills are not sufficient to do that.

With my limited skills and tools, I would have used OmegaT for this, coupled with an autoskipper script (available on the OmegaT yahoogroup's archive). But this is probably too complex for you.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I didn't realise the languages were marked Aug 10, 2006

Marek Buchtel wrote:

I didn't realise, from the OP's post, that the different languages were already marked for spell-checking purposes. I had assumed they weren't. Of course, if they are already marked, then it's a simple matter of Find/Replace (as you described) to do it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count bilingual files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »