Getting Trados 6.5 to start a new sentence after a full stop?
Thread poster: Soren Petersen
Soren Petersen
Soren Petersen
United States
Local time: 10:04
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 10, 2006

Hi all,

I'm currently translating around 90 files with a lot of similar text. Trados would normally be ideal for this, but the text has line breaks after each 7-8 words or so. If I remove the line breaks, it messes up the text for Trados for some reason.

Is there a way that I could get Trados to look at each separate sentence (including line breaks) as a segment?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers,
Soren

[Edited at 200
... See more
Hi all,

I'm currently translating around 90 files with a lot of similar text. Trados would normally be ideal for this, but the text has line breaks after each 7-8 words or so. If I remove the line breaks, it messes up the text for Trados for some reason.

Is there a way that I could get Trados to look at each separate sentence (including line breaks) as a segment?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers,
Soren

[Edited at 2006-08-10 16:10]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:04
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Change the line breaks to manual line breaks Aug 10, 2006

That means search for the reversed P sign and replace it by "manual line break". In Word you get this break by pressing SHIFT+ENTER.

Trados cannot go over a line break, but it can go over a manual line break (so called "soft return").

HTH
Jerzy

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Using Jerzy's principle Aug 10, 2006

Assuming you work in Word, search "^p" and replace it with "^l" (without the "") to convert all your hard breaks into soft breaks. Trados doesn't see soft breaks as ends of segment, as Jerzy explained.
This is assuming that your sentences end with a full stop. If not, you may get useless huge segments...
Good evening,
Philippe

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Thank´s for better explaining "my principle" :) Aug 10, 2006

You do not necessarilly end in huge segments then. Even if Trados puts more sentences together you can still use the shrink segment option.
And the "dot" remains as full stop even then, AFAIR.

Regards
Jerzy

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
I was referring to this case Aug 11, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

You do not necessarilly end in huge
segments then
Even if Trados puts more sentences
together you can still use the shrink
segment option
And the "dot" remains as full stop
even then, AFAIR

Hi Jerzy,

By no means better explained, I'm afraid!
I just described how to "automate" the task in Word (using the Search and Replace feature) in case Soren doesn't know, but I added a limitation to this "automation". To make it clearer, I will illustrate it with your message if I may:

If your post contained hard breaks (reverse P) at the end of each line AND no full stops, as above, then you would end up with one segment after you bulk-replace all hard breaks with soft breaks. And no option with shrinking the segment to translate sentence by sentence.
Marking the end of each sentence to have Trados split the segment would then be a painful time-consuming manual boring job.
Hence my warning about "fully stopped" sentences.
I hope my previous post makes more sense now.
Regards,
Philippe

[Edited at 2006-08-11 00:08]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
AutoUnbreak Aug 11, 2006

There is freeware called AutoUnbreak, which attempts at "intelligent" removal of inappropriate hard breaks.

http://digital.hollmen.dk/products/autounbreak/index.htm

You might give it a try.

I did not test it myself, using various macros of my own, so I cannot give any opinion if it is good or bad.

HTH

Antonin

Soren Petersen
Soren Petersen
United States
Local time: 10:04
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help Aug 11, 2006

Hi all and thanks very much for your input. I really appreciate it.

Antonin, I tried the AutoBreak program and it looks like just what I need - Dêkuji!

Cheers,
Soren

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting Trados 6.5 to start a new sentence after a full stop?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »