Thread poster: Gianluigi Desogus, PhD

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:31
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 11, 2006

Hello,

I'm translating a MS word file in Trados. Word keeps crashing on particular segments (not on all segments).

I'm using MS Word 2003 (ITALIAN) and SDL Trados Translator's Workbench 7.5.0 build 756.

Initially I thought this was due to a problem with the file (copied and pasted into Word from an original PDF by the agency).
However, when I translate it using a FRENCH version of MS Word (and exactly the same Trados build) on a different machine I have no problems whatsoever completing the translation.

Could it really be a MS Word language related issue? Or could it possibly be due to incompatibility problems between Traods and MS patches?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Gigi

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:31
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
some hints... Aug 11, 2006

I would not know if you have time for all this... but anyhow

i) Anything special (end of paragraph, end of page, in a table) about segments that crash?

ii) Anything special about segments that do not crash?

iii) Is it always the same segments or does it change (on translation for instance)?

iv) what happens if you pretranslate? (if it blows up too, then it's something that Word drags into the RTF)

Hint: try using TagEditor instead of Word

Hint: f you export it to text (!) and back in, what happens (idea: text should be good enough for translation, at least to get TM done, while you look for suspects).

Hint: keep segments open to see if there's some strange characters or combinations thereof coming up...

[Edited at 2006-08-11 14:36]

[Edited at 2006-08-11 14:38]

Portugal
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
some answers... Aug 11, 2006

i) Anything special (end of paragraph, end of page, in a table) about segments that crash?

not as far as I can see. Sometimes it crashes at the end of a paragraph but not always

ii) Anything special about segments that do not crash?

Nothing... they all look the same to me...

iii) Is it always the same segments or does it change (on translation for instance)?

Tends to be always the same segments

iv) what happens if you pretranslate? (if it blows up too, then it's something that Word drags into the RTF)

No previous TM available

Hint: try using TagEditor instead of Word

Tried this but it doesn't cope very well with titles and inserts plenty of unnecessary tags

Hint: f you export it to text (!) and back in, what happens (idea: text should be good enough for translation, at least to get TM done, while you look for suspects).

I'll try this!

What really puzzles me is why there should be such a difference from the Italian version of Word (I spent hours trying to work in it) and the French one (tried this as last resort when I had had enough... and it worked without a hitch!). I seem to remember reading somewhere that people had similar problems after installing some MS Knowledgebase updates, so I wonder if I might be having the same problem too (on the "Italian machine" and not on the "French one").

[Edited at 2006-08-11 14:53]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Some experiments with your templates Aug 11, 2006

First, copy a new Trados7.dot from Trados installation folder to Word startup folder.
Try again.
If this does not help, rename your Normal.dot to Normal.old and try again. Now Word creates a completly new Normal.dot. If this helps, your Normal.dot was corrupted.

If all this does not help, look in this post for the patch you need to delete.

Regards
Jerzy

Portugal
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Removing the KB update did the trick Aug 11, 2006

Thanks a lot Jerzy,

I opted for the quick fix (removing the MS Office update KB917334) and it now works perfectly.

Thanks again...

[Edited at 2006-08-12 08:45]

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
Maybe? Aug 11, 2006

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD wrote:

Hello,

I'm using MS Word 2003 (ITALIAN) a...using a FRENCH version of MS Word (and exactly the same I have no problems

Gigi

Maybe different Regional Settings (Regions and languages tools) in both machine with different definitions of delimiters?

Regards

Francesca Pezzoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Link Aug 11, 2006

Hi Gianluigi,

have a look at this:

http://www.proz.com/post/370908#370908

(especially Marek's comments)

I had the same problem as you and it worked out just fine!!!

My 2 cents
F.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Maybe different Regional Settings ... Aug 11, 2006

good shot!... But then it would just segment in some crazy fashion. And Romans do as Europeans do anyhow...

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
I mean Aug 11, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

good shot!... But then it would just segment in some crazy fashion. And Romans do as Europeans do anyhow...

things like semicolons, comas in numbers, etc.

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:31
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
just maybe Aug 11, 2006

You lost a .dot from word.

To Fernando: Vení a dar clases a Argentina!

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
What about Smart Tags? Aug 11, 2006

Word 2003 11.8026.8036 SP2 + Trados 7.1.0.719.

Happened to me just yesterday: spcific segments only, no trouble with pretranslation or cleaning...

In the end, I noticed that one segment that caused Word to crash had a smart tag at the end of the target segment (something like a word followed by an acronym).

So I suspected that a smart tag just before a Trados tag may lead to some conflict... And I removed the Smart tags feature in Word (Tools>Autocorrect Options>Smart Tags (Balises actives in French)>Remove Smart Tags button)

It worked!
It may be similar to your problem because Italian may recognize a different set of smart tags compared to French.
Give it a try and tell us how it goes.

I didn't find anything on the Net that documents this Smart/trados tag potential issue, so it may just be me.
But if I am not alone, then it could be useful to let the Trados people know about it.

Enjoy your weekend,
Philippe

[Edited at 2006-08-12 00:05]

Roberto Alberdi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Same problem, same fix Apr 28, 2007

Hello all,

After wasting the whole Friday with the same problem (Word crashes in certain segments) I came across this thread, I followed Philippe's instructions about disabling and removing smart tags and everything works fine now!!

I wish I had found this thread two days ago, now I have to work during the weekend and ruin the five day vacation we enjoy here in Madrid these days.

BTW, I had the same problem in two platforms:
- Win2000 Spanish, Word 2002 Spanish, Trados 6.5
- Win XP PRo Spanish, Word 2003 SP3 Spanish, Trados 6.5

Thank you very much for your help!!

[Edited at 2007-04-28 11:00]

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
he he May 5, 2007

Thanks Roberto, nice to hear that my post was useful to someone.
In the meantime, this issue was documented and fixed in a recent patch for v.7 or 2006.
I don't know if Trados provided a patch for 6.5. Maybe you could check if you have the latest update of your version.
Have fun,
Philippe

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:31
French to English
+ ...
thanks! Feb 20, 2008

This was posted a long time ago but was still useful to me today when Word was crashing after every other segment when I was trying to finish an urgent job! Disabling Smart Tags (which are not useful to me in any case) seems to have fixed the problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word constantly crashing when using Workbench

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs