Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 12, 2006

Hello,

I am using Trados SDLX, Version 7.x Freelance.

I have to proofread a translation from a book originally created in Frame Maker and delivered to me in .ttx after translation.

Must the segment where you want to make a change always be opened and saved or is it possible to make changes without using the TM?

My idea was to make changes, save the file and at the end create a TM by cleaning all the files.

It takes longer to open e
... See more
Hello,

I am using Trados SDLX, Version 7.x Freelance.

I have to proofread a translation from a book originally created in Frame Maker and delivered to me in .ttx after translation.

Must the segment where you want to make a change always be opened and saved or is it possible to make changes without using the TM?

My idea was to make changes, save the file and at the end create a TM by cleaning all the files.

It takes longer to open every segment when there are many changes to be made...

Also, is it possible that some tag or something in the file prevents me from recording a change? I mean when tags are not locked and you can actually type the text.

Thanks in advance for any views on this!
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:10
German to English
Segments must be opened Aug 12, 2006

As far as I know, the segment must be open for a change to be made in TagEditor. This prevents a general find/replace operation to fix a simple error.

I haven't tied this as a method of working, but you might try opening the .ttx file in a text editor such as Notepad. There's a replace function, but what you see on the screen when you open a .ttx file makes it hard to do any serious editing. Try it and you'll see what I mean ...

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 19:10
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Cleaning does the trick Aug 12, 2006

Patricia Posadas wrote:

Yes, it works. I have done it many times.

Antonin

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
SDLX Lite Aug 12, 2006

Hi Patricia,

I proofread ttx files in SDLX Lite because it presents source and target as a table and it's so easy to revise and make changes. Once finished, if you want to update the TM, you just clean it with WB.

A lot more friendly!!!
Grace.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Yes you can Aug 12, 2006

Kevin Fulton wrote:

As far as I know, the segment must be open for a change to be made in TagEditor. This prevents a general find/replace operation to fix a simple error.

Unless, of course, you disable Document Protection - then you can search and replace, directly modify text etc. and later update the TM by cleaning the .ttx files.

Benjamin

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:10
German to English
Disable document protection Aug 12, 2006

tectranslate wrote:

disable Document Protection - then you can search and replace, directly modify text etc. and later update the TM by cleaning the .ttx files.
Benjamin

Great tip! Thanks.

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
just a point on Graciela's entry Aug 14, 2006

Hi Graciela

SDLX is different from Trados, you seem to have mixed them up in your comment. In SDLX —which does indeed show you a bilingual version in the form of a "table", as you wrote— there is no WB and you do not clean to update the TM.

SDLX: SDLX Edit would be the equivalent of the Trados WB. One "updates" instead of "cleaning".

Anyway, I'm sure you meant well and it is just one of those days, but I thought I should mention it just s
... See more
Hi Graciela

SDLX is different from Trados, you seem to have mixed them up in your comment. In SDLX —which does indeed show you a bilingual version in the form of a "table", as you wrote— there is no WB and you do not clean to update the TM.

SDLX: SDLX Edit would be the equivalent of the Trados WB. One "updates" instead of "cleaning".

Anyway, I'm sure you meant well and it is just one of those days, but I thought I should mention it just so that people do not get too confused. It could be confusing enough the fact that, just over a year ago, SDL bought Trados and Trados passed on to be renamed SDL Trados.

Kind regards,

Marta

[Edited at 2006-08-14 13:36]

[Edited at 2006-08-14 14:18]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
what about the following? Aug 14, 2006

My idea was to make changes, save the file and at the end create a TM by cleaning all the files

1. chjange the TTX file to a two-column table in word
2. correct your column in word (and spellcheck etc etc)
3. move back to ttx

here's the Word plugin to do that. It makes so many things easier...

www.geocities.com/avvysotsky/PlusToyz.zip

Éric Cléach
Éric Cléach  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
Clarification Aug 15, 2006

Marta Fernandez-Suarez wrote:

Hi Graciela

Kind regards,

Marta

[Edited at 2006-08-14 13:36]

[Edited at 2006-08-14 14:18]

Well, SDL Edit (at least with SDLX 2006, which you get with Trados Freelance 7.5 -- not sure about the Lite version, though) can actually open TTX files created with TagEditor.
I think what she meant is that it is much easier to proofread TTX files in SDL EDit than in TagEditor (that's perfectly true), but as this process does not update your WB TM, you have to clean the TTX file proofed in SDL Edit to update your Trados TM.

regards,

Eric

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
cleaning previewing Aug 15, 2006

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the answer, but -if it is not too complicated to explain- what do you mean by "cleaning in SDL Edit"? Do you mean previewing the target text?

Regards,

Marta

---------------

Right, actually, no need to answer. I understand.

Graciella must have meant (did you?) proofreading the file -previously translated with the Trados Tag Editor- in SDL Edit, and then, updating the Trados TM from Trados by cleanin
... See more
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the answer, but -if it is not too complicated to explain- what do you mean by "cleaning in SDL Edit"? Do you mean previewing the target text?

Regards,

Marta

---------------

Right, actually, no need to answer. I understand.

Graciella must have meant (did you?) proofreading the file -previously translated with the Trados Tag Editor- in SDL Edit, and then, updating the Trados TM from Trados by cleaning the proofread file.

Sorry Graciella for asuming that it was a mistake before, but, for someone who has never combined both software packages, who has used them independently, the whole thing was phrased in a very confusing way, but it finally makes sense now.

Thank you

Marta

[Edited at 2006-08-15 13:03]

[Edited at 2006-08-15 14:00]

[Edited at 2006-08-15 14:09]
Collapse

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 16, 2006

I hadn't thought of SDL Edit!!! Sounds great!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading .ttx files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »