How can I avoid double entries in MultiTerm?
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 16:38
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Aug 17, 2006

The agency keeps sending me the same XML file and I keep adding. I already have triplicates (! - some people will NEVER learn...).

1. how can I avoid this in the future?
2. how can I clean up? Note that I have also single entries, so I need to start not from some XML, but from the actual content of the Termbase.

For 2, I'd probably go for an XLS copy and massage records there, but otoh this should be something that Multiterm should cater for.
I'd dare t
... See more
The agency keeps sending me the same XML file and I keep adding. I already have triplicates (! - some people will NEVER learn...).

1. how can I avoid this in the future?
2. how can I clean up? Note that I have also single entries, so I need to start not from some XML, but from the actual content of the Termbase.

For 2, I'd probably go for an XLS copy and massage records there, but otoh this should be something that Multiterm should cater for.
I'd dare to go into Access also - bar an easier solution.
TiA

[Edited at 2006-08-17 04:48]
Collapse

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
English to French
Don't add your entries to the agency's glossary Aug 18, 2006

Hi Vito,

First, I would not add my own entries to the agency's termbase.

Multiterm allows you to use multiple termbases. Create one and import the agencies entries in it and keep it aside.

Now create you own empty termbase and make it the default termbase in TWB so that when you add entries, they are added to you own termbase and not a huge unified termbase.

This way, when your client sends you his new termbase, simply delete HIS termbase and i
... See more
Hi Vito,

First, I would not add my own entries to the agency's termbase.

Multiterm allows you to use multiple termbases. Create one and import the agencies entries in it and keep it aside.

Now create you own empty termbase and make it the default termbase in TWB so that when you add entries, they are added to you own termbase and not a huge unified termbase.

This way, when your client sends you his new termbase, simply delete HIS termbase and import the new one. No duplicates and you keep your own entries in YOUR termbase.

To clean up a TM, tools such as Oliphant come in handy, but for Multiterm databases, I don't see anything both reliable and handy, as removing them one by one under Multiterm is quite tedious.

Kind regards,
Denis Hay
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
You're of course right... Aug 18, 2006

I should not mix things... This is admittedly sloppy behaviour. On the other hand, it IS expressions that pertain to the customer's subject, so for now

i) I will keep my vocabulary off the customer's
ii) i.e. have customer's MT in the background

which still leaves my problem open, or even makes two out of one:

a) how to get rid of doubles - simple: create a new TM and dump the old one.
b) how to separate customer's fundus and my entries? I dont
... See more
I should not mix things... This is admittedly sloppy behaviour. On the other hand, it IS expressions that pertain to the customer's subject, so for now

i) I will keep my vocabulary off the customer's
ii) i.e. have customer's MT in the background

which still leaves my problem open, or even makes two out of one:

a) how to get rid of doubles - simple: create a new TM and dump the old one.
b) how to separate customer's fundus and my entries? I dont know, but my hope are the dates ...

Let's see. If there's any other ideas, welcome.

The original question (how to update instead of add) is btw still open too.

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2006-08-18 19:42]

[Edited at 2006-08-18 19:43]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I avoid double entries in MultiTerm?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »