I cannot open termbase
Thread poster: david angel (X)
david angel (X)
david angel (X)
Local time: 21:13
French to English
+ ...
Aug 21, 2006

Recently, I did a meticulous back up of TBs, copying them to a folder in My Documents and then copying that folder onto disk.
Now, when I try to open a termbase, I get a message saying that ".../.../....mdp" (the path for the back up folder in My Documents) is not a valid path. In fact, there are no mdp files in that folder anyhow.
If I try to import the TB in mxl I get a message that the termbase already exists.
Can anyone tell me how I get Multiterm to look in the right place
... See more
Recently, I did a meticulous back up of TBs, copying them to a folder in My Documents and then copying that folder onto disk.
Now, when I try to open a termbase, I get a message saying that ".../.../....mdp" (the path for the back up folder in My Documents) is not a valid path. In fact, there are no mdp files in that folder anyhow.
If I try to import the TB in mxl I get a message that the termbase already exists.
Can anyone tell me how I get Multiterm to look in the right place for the file? Thanks in advance!

David Angel.
Collapse

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:13
German to Croatian
+ ...
Try attaching it Aug 21, 2006

Go: Termbase/Attach External Termbase/
specify location (its new location), give it a specific name and so on.

It should work...

[Edited at 2006-08-21 15:43]

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try it. Aug 21, 2006

I'll try this, Vesna. Thanks.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Attach/detach Aug 21, 2006

david angel wrote:

David Angel.

Hi David,

Just a note to what Vesna said.

You are getting this message because you did not "detach" your termbase from MultiTerm before you saved it.

This is what the MultiTerm Help file says about attaching:

To load an external termbase:

From the Termbase menu in MultiTerm, select Load External Termbase. The Attach Termbase dialog box is displayed.

Click Browse to locate the termbase you want to attach. The termbase can be located anywhere on your computer or on the network. The Attach Termbase dialog box opens.

Select the termbase you want to attach. This must be an MDB file.

Click Open to confirm and to return to the Attach Termbase dialog box. The file name and location of the external termbase is displayed in the Termbase location box.

Enter a name for the new termbase in the Termbase name box. Note: The termbase name you enter must be unique. If you enter a termbase name that is already in use, MultiTerm will prompt you to specify a different name.

Click OK to confirm and to close the Attach Termbase dialog box.

The external termbase is now available as a local termbase in the Open Termbase dialog box.

HTH

Giles

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Suggestions have worked Aug 21, 2006

Thanks, Giles. (You have helped me before, if you remember).

Your suggestions work perfectly.

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:13
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Attach operation problem Feb 3, 2007

Hello colleagues!
Anyone knows how to fix this: I also tried to re-establish a MultiTerm termase using Attach command but failed. I can locate the required files to attach but after I use a unique name, there appear a message "couldn't find a mdf_3(5, 13, etc) file" or "such name already exists". The MultiTerm was completely reinstalled (and I didn't detach the required files before that - maybe that is the reason?)

DE-EN-xl8
DE-EN-xl8
German to English
Do you have this directory on your PC? Feb 3, 2007

Hi Radian,

Do you have this directory on your PC:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TRADOS\MultiTerm\Termbases

If you do, what files does it contain? Does it perhaps contain a ...\Backup or ...\Backups directory?

Regards,
Mark

Radian Yazynin wrote:

Hello colleagues!
Anyone knows how to fix this: I also tried to re-establish a MultiTerm termase using Attach command but failed. I can locate the required files to attach but after I use a unique name, there appear a message "couldn't find a mdf_3(5, 13, etc) file" or "such name already exists". The MultiTerm was completely reinstalled (and I didn't detach the required files before that - maybe that is the reason?)

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:13
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
To Mark Feb 4, 2007

[quote]Mark Staton wrote:

Do you have this directory on your PC:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TRADOS\MultiTerm\Termbases

If you do, what files does it contain? Does it perhaps contain a ...\Backup or ...\Backups directory?

[quote]Radian Yazynin wrote:

Hello Mark,thanks for replying.

First, sorry, I was in a hurry to say the files to attach are "mdf" - those are mdb of course. And, I appologize if I use this thread for discussing the Trados 6.5 version - I just see the setting procedures are the same in the above discussions.

Under the path you mentioned there is only one subfolder:

...\Termbases\JP with files like MTMaster, Trados Index files...

and no any Backup directories. This is a "fresh" installation of MultiTerm (after I reinstalled Windows, and I am now trying to use the previously saved/copied (on the other disk) mdb files).

And one more point: the error message seems to be not from Trados directly as I see it in Russian "couldn't find the file...".

What do you think could be the problem?

[Edited at 2007-02-04 07:33]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I cannot open termbase

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »