Arturo Mannino  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:00
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 22, 2006

Hi all,

I'll use my laptop over the next two weeks. I have SDL Trados 7.1.0.719 and use to edit large and "heavy" Word documents with TagEditor. Now, since my laptop has no numeric keyboard, I cannot use the Alt/+ shortcut for Set/Close Next Open/Get. I tried to change this shortcut from MS Word, but this seems to work only for the Workbench, not for TagEditor. Can anyone help?

Direct link Reply with quote

Matt Baird
Germany
German to English
Your laptop may have a keypad via the 'function' (fn" button Aug 22, 2006

Hi Arturo,

Depending on your laptop, it may have a neumeric keypad function on the keyboard which you access using a 'function' button. On my Dell Inspiron E1505, there is a blue "Fn" button to the right of the control key that I use. This activates certain keys on the keypad that are also marked in blue as the neumeric keypad numbers as well as the symbols that you need for trados. So I press "Fn" - "Alt" and then, for example, the "+" key and am able to set/close go to next segment just like I had a keypad.

Your laptop might not conveniently display where the neumeric keypad is on keyboard, but check your manual or the help topics and you may find that you do have one and just need to know which keys to press to access it.

Hope that helps!

Take care,

Matt

PS: I just noticed that you translate from German as well. Also, schoene Gruesse aus sonnigen Boulder, Colorado!

[Edited at 2006-08-22 14:32]

Arturo Mannino  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, it works great! Aug 22, 2006

Thank you very much Matthew. Actually, my Acer TravelMate 4020 has such a "Function" key too: I can press Fn+Alt+L(+) and it works!

Vielen Dank und schöne Grüsse aus Barcelona

arturo

[Edited at 2006-08-22 14:46]

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Macro software Aug 23, 2006

You can use a macro-defining software, which allows to define your own shortcuts in many programs.

I use Autohotkey for this purpose - now I have most needed Trados functions as Alt + j,k,l and ; shortcuts (very useful if you speed-type!).

The link is:
http://www.autohotkey.com/

Kurt Hammond  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:00
Japanese to English
Just press ALT+END and then immediately ALT+HOME Aug 31, 2006

I have trouble using the Fn key for Num shortcuts.
I found it is just as fast to press ALT-END to close the previous segment and then ALT-HOME to open the next one. It will go to the next segment as if you pressed ALT-Num+

It uses a few more CPU cycles but works really great when I'm on a laptop. I don't even bother to change the Word Macro shortcut anymore.

Ana Maria Perez
Italy
English to Spanish
+ ...
same problem Jul 9, 2010

Hi,

I have the same problem when working with my laptop. I'm trying to do Fn+Alt+F11 and nothing, and then I tried Fn+Alt+L but I don't understand what (+) means, could you please help me? I have seen this thing in other forums but I don't know how to press a (+) key.

Thanks in advance...

Nathan Vaillette  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:00
Member (2012)
German to English
+ ...
autohotkey script Nov 23, 2012

Hi,

I just wanted to share my autohotkey script I use for TagEditor, because I finally got around to making one and it is already a huge savings for me.

I had already remapped my most-used tw4win macros to these keystrokes for use in Word with workbench:

Alt+Right for open/get
Alt+Down for set-close-next-open-get
Alt+Up for set/close

In TagEditor the shortcuts for these are

Alt+Home
Alt+Num+
Alt+End

and there's no way to change them, which is especially problematic if your keyboard hasn't even got Num+. My autohotkey script converts my preferred keystrokes into the TagEditor shortcuts:

Alt & Right::Send !{Home}
Alt & Down::Send !{NumpadAdd}
Alt & Up::Send !{End}

Also, I set the TagEditor spell checker to check every time I close a segment, so I use "IgnoreAll" a lot and it's dumb to have to grab the mouse and move to the button every time. You can get to it with 5 tabs, so I just put this in the autohotkey script:

^i::Send {tab}{tab}{tab}{tab}{tab}{Enter}

Now CTRL+i tabs through to the Ignore All button and presses it.

Of course, the proper solution to all of this is to stop using garbage software like TagEditor, but our clients will not always make this easy.

Jens Arvidsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2012)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Autohotkey Jan 31, 2013

Thanks Nathan and Jabberwock for the tip about Autohotkey. Extremely useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change TagEditor shortcuts

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs