SDL Trados 2006 Freelance installed on how many machines?
Thread poster: DE-EN-FR (X)
DE-EN-FR (X)
DE-EN-FR (X)
Local time: 00:16
English to German
+ ...
Aug 23, 2006

Hi all,

I recently purchased SDL Trados 2006 Freelance (per download/softkey) and installed it on my desktop PC and my laptop. I have to ship my desktop PC tomorrow (I am moving abroad next month) and won't be able to access it for the next few weeks. In the meantime, I intend to use my laptop. My question is the following: If my laptop goes belly up while my desktop PC is traveling with some mover, and I buy a new laptop, can I simply download SDL Trados 2006 Freelance again and in
... See more
Hi all,

I recently purchased SDL Trados 2006 Freelance (per download/softkey) and installed it on my desktop PC and my laptop. I have to ship my desktop PC tomorrow (I am moving abroad next month) and won't be able to access it for the next few weeks. In the meantime, I intend to use my laptop. My question is the following: If my laptop goes belly up while my desktop PC is traveling with some mover, and I buy a new laptop, can I simply download SDL Trados 2006 Freelance again and install it on my new laptop, or do I have to uninstall it from either my desktop PC (which will not be possible as it will be 3,000 kilometers away from where I will be during the next few weeks) or my old laptop first? I am asking this as I have read somewhere that you are only allowed to have SDL Trados 2006 Freelance installed on two machines simultaneously. I hope this question isn't too dumb and/or confusing. Would appreciate any valuable suggestions. Thanks a lot.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
AFAIK there is no limit on how many machines it is installed Aug 23, 2006

The only limit is, that you MAY (are entitled to) use ONLY ONE copy at the same time.

Regards
Jerzy

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:16
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Unregister it first, to be on the safe side Aug 23, 2006

Since I upgraded to SDL Trados 2006 within the last 24 hours, the information is still fresh in my mind.
Indeed, I would de-register the licence on your desktop before shipping it off. You are right: you are allowed to have the licence registered on 2 machines at the same time, but if your laptop disappears, you would obviously no longer be able to unregister it.
The procedure Jerzy is talking about is the one whereby you unregister and register the licence as required on various c
... See more
Since I upgraded to SDL Trados 2006 within the last 24 hours, the information is still fresh in my mind.
Indeed, I would de-register the licence on your desktop before shipping it off. You are right: you are allowed to have the licence registered on 2 machines at the same time, but if your laptop disappears, you would obviously no longer be able to unregister it.
The procedure Jerzy is talking about is the one whereby you unregister and register the licence as required on various computers, which I have been doing for years with my laptop and desktop. With the new version, you can keep the programme registered on 2 computers at the same time (a godsend for me) but no more. It would therefore be safest in my view if you de-register the licence on your desktop before shipping it off.
---
just corrected laptop into desktop
With the old version of SDLX, the SDL server 'knew' on which computer the licence was registered and I assume that the licence on the new version is similarly recorded by the SDL server.

[Edited at 2006-08-23 16:22]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Anne, this does not apply to Trados Aug 23, 2006

but it did apply to SDLX.
AFAIK with the new softlock license no registration is necessary for SDLX too.
On my machine I have both Trados and SDLX installed. And I did not need to register SDLX so far.
I must admit, that I do not work with it, so possibly that´s why it starts and does not ask for registration.
Trados does definitely not need any registration.

Regards
Jerzy

DE-EN-FR (X)
DE-EN-FR (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestions, Jerzy and Anne. Aug 25, 2006

My desktop was picked up by the movers yesterday, and I hadn't unregistered the license. My laptop is working fine so far.

Regards,

Ingo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2006 Freelance installed on how many machines?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »