TW4win.EXE Error in Trados SDL 2006
Thread poster: Alexandra Beisl

Alexandra Beisl  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:12
English to German
+ ...
Aug 24, 2006

I increasingly have the following problem since upgrading to Trados SDL 2006 (i.e. Trados 7.5): when doing a concordance search, workbench crashes with the above mentioned error code.

I have tried exporting and reimporting into new TMs, importing exports that were made as backups with the old Trados 6.5 before upgrading to Trados 7.5. You name it! I even tried reinstalling the whole of Trados. The problem is still occuring, mainly with larger TMs and often it is just one specific word that cannot be searched for. Other terms seem to be fine. Does anybody else have that problem? Thanks for any suggestions!

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvie Cherrier  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
tw4win.exe in trados sdl 2006 Oct 26, 2006

Has anyone found a solution for this problem? I have the same and SDL technical support does not answer my queries.

Thanks,

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still trying to come to a solution with SDL Oct 26, 2006

I am still trying to come to a solution with SDL about this one. They only reacted, when I threatened that I would instruct my credit card company to recover my money, because I considered there product fundamentally flawed, but so far we have not arrived at a solution despite hours of wasted time at my end.

See also my other post on Trados 7.5:

http://www.proz.com/post/434342#434342

Sylvie Cherrier  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
tw4win.exe in trados sdl 2006 Oct 27, 2006

Thanks. They are driving me mad with this and their absolute unwillingness to do anything. This is a complete abuse and I hope we translators will eventually reach a point where we can find another alternative.
Anyway (sorry, I'm very angry at them), in case I find a solution, I'll post it.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Possible workaround Oct 27, 2006

Hi all,
You may want to try the solution described in this article.

HTH, Ralf

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Arial Font Oct 29, 2006

Hi Ralf

The Arial Font problem does not apply in my case as it is clearly available as per Setup in Trados Workbench. Also, I have sent SDL numerous example files and TMs and they still have not been able to explain to me what the problem actually is, let alone solve the problem. Recently they sent me a "doctored" TM as a solution based on an original TM I sent them which was completely useless as all the German Umlauts in it had been completely shot to pieces. I really think that SDL just haven't got much of a clue as far as solutions to the instability of new Trados is concerned.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway!

Alex

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:12
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trados 7.5 crashes when concordance is used Mar 26, 2007

Same here. I installed the latest Trados Update and now whenever I use the concordance there is the same error message and Workbench crashes. Trados isn't much use without the concordance.
I tried to reinstall the .NET installations, reinstall Trados, use various TM's, all to no avail.
Sent my request to SDL, will have to wait and see, but your experiences don't give me much hope.
Please let me know if you've found a solution.

In the meantime it came to me to use a Windows XP restore point. I rolled the system back to before the installation of the Trados 7 Cumulative Pack 2 and all is well again, problem solved. Not what you would expect from a patch, to actually ruin a working configuration, but there you go. It's uncanny how closely SDL is copying Microsofts mistakes from a few years ago.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-03-26 03:53]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Never had problems until installing Mar 27, 2007

the cummulative patch. After that, when opening next segment I got a Microsoft web link inserted automatically in the new segment. Had to reinstall Trados 7.5 and everything's been fine since then.
The problem of Trados seems to be the fact that their applications are using vulnerable, instable and a sort of "hybrid" environments, such as MS Jet. Hope they'll change their attitude to programming real soon.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TW4win.EXE Error in Trados SDL 2006

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs