Thread poster: Karin Walker
Karin Walker  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:32
German to English
+ ...
Aug 26, 2006

Hi all,
I must have inadvertently used some weird key combination today and my entire Word menu/toolbar has disappeared. I am now working in a view that looks a bit like 'full screen' except I can still see the ruler along the side. My right click functions have gone. Am currently working with key commands in Trados (which is not so good because I don't have all the commands in my head, just the basic ones).
Have tried repairing Word, which was reportedly 'successful' but did not repair the actual problem. Don't really want to deinstall the entire Office suite as this will kill all my settings, but can't get the system to deinstall only Word.

Can anyone help? As always, deadline looming, the usual story...

TIA
Karin
PS I am working with Word XP 2002 and Trados 6.5 Freelance (version nr. 6.5.2.417, Build 417)

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Close Word, delete Normal.dot Aug 26, 2006

in folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

Restart Word

It should be OK then (with the ooriginal Normal.dot restored)

HTH

Antonin

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Know issue Aug 26, 2006

Almost certainly you have been translating a footnote with Trados...

Please read this article from Trados Knowledge Base.

Translating footnotes with Trados and Word is a little bit tricky, so one should be careful about that.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-08-26 14:09]

Karin Walker  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Antonin! Aug 26, 2006

How simple was that? Jerzy, I wasn't even translating footnotes at that point, and never really had problems with that ever. But thanks for the reference, good to know there is help should I ever need it.
Just one more thing - while Trados and MT iX are back up on the menu bar, the flagman won't open the toolbar and I need to operate the MT commands from the menu too. Any ideas?
TIA
Karin

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Copy the Trados template from Trados installation folder to Word startup folder Aug 26, 2006

That should help.
Probably the template is corrupted.

Nevertheless, opening the flagman is not necessary for working with Trados. Just in case you need function like "Repair document" you may need the flagman.
For all other there are keyboard shortcuts, which are IMO much faster to use.

Regards
Jerzy

Languageman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:32
German to English
+ ...
Broken link Nov 8, 2007

The link to the crucial article has expired. It can now be found at http://www.sdl.com/en/services/support/view.asp?cntID=762

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word menu bar disappeared completely

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs