How to divide TTX file into several TTX files
Thread poster: xxxHikonishi
xxxHikonishi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:53
English to Japanese
Aug 29, 2006

I would like to know how to divide a TTX file into new TTX files. I changed settings in Tool>Option>Protection, but I cannot delete a part of bilingual text. The original format is Page Maker, but I don’t have the software. Please advise.

I use Trados 2006.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2006-08-29 15:34]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 02:53
English to Swedish
+ ...
What's the purpose? Aug 29, 2006

Technically, you might be able to do this with a text editor, but what's the purpose?

You wouldn't be able to cleanup the files after translation, since Trados will check the integrity agains the source file that must reside in the same folder.

If you need to split the job for simultaneous work with several translators, it's better to:
A - split the source file (i e make a duplicate and delete redundant pages in PageMaker)
B- send the full document to both translators and instruct them to only work on one part. Later, you can merge their work by importing both TM and clean a virgin file against them.

Or do you have another purpose for this splitting?!

/Jan

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
treat separate stories in PM Aug 29, 2006

hkonishi wrote:

I would like to know how to divide a TTX file into new TTX files. I changed settings in Tool>Option>Protection, but I cannot delete a part of bilingual text. The original format is Page Maker, but I don’t have the software. Please advise.

I use Trados 2006.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2006-08-29 15:34]
as separate entities, you can also split the text content within PM and import fitting your requirement. If you do not have the SW ask your outsourcer to send the split files. That may be a solution. Best Brandis

[Edited at 2006-08-29 17:16]

United States
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Goal is providing ttx to others Aug 29, 2006

I realized that it is not easy to divide a TTX file. When I provide the original file to other translators, how can I count the words (including/not including repeated sentences)? I only find the way to count characters in Tools>Count Characters.

Please advise.

[Edited at 2006-08-29 17:59]

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Easy Aug 29, 2006

hkonishi wrote:

I realized that it is not easy to divide a TTX file. When I provide the original file to other translators, how can I count the words (including/not including repeated sentences)? I only find the way to count characters in Tools>Count Characters.

Please advise.

[Edited at 2006-08-29 17:59]

Clean the TTXs files in a new TM
Send the original files (or parts) to the translators with the main TM, each translator can count his part.

A TTX can not (or very dangerous to do) be divided. It is a full document with start and ending labels.

If you want to divide a document use only originals.
Pagemaker has a trial download too...

Regards

Fernando

United States
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 3, 2006

Thank you very much!
Hiromi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to divide TTX file into several TTX files

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs