Thread poster: Eloïse Notet

Eloïse Notet  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:40
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
Sep 5, 2006

I am trying to convert a file "Bilingual" into "target", as I usually do but the following message appears:

connection with server application error: unable to locate original file :"name of my bilingual file"

Please copy this original file into directory above and try again.

I don't understand where is the problem.

Could anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
German to French
sorry Sep 5, 2006

double posting

[Edited at 2006-09-05 09:50]

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
German to French
File format and other questions... Sep 5, 2006

Hi,

You did not specify which version of Trados/TagEditor you use, nor the file type (original file) you are trying to convert... is this an Excel file, a Word document, an html file... ?

On a general note (and with regard to the message you get), you need to have the source file in the same directory as the bilingual file to be able to convert the bilingual into target. This is perhaps a first step...

HTH,
Sylvain

Eloïse Notet  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found the solution! Sep 5, 2006

Thanks Sylvain,

it was Trados 7.0, an Excel-file converted in Tag Editor.

I reated an new bilingual file which was then converted in a target one without problems. My bilingual file was supposedly corupted.. no idea!

Bonne journée!!

Shang
China
Local time: 07:40
English to Chinese
the same problem Sep 5, 2006

I'm experiencing the same problem when saving a 284-page ttx document back into PPT format using TagEditor 6.5/7.0. An error message is displayed indicating:

Connection with server application error:
ActionSettings (unknown member): Integer out of range. 0 is not in the valid range of 1 to 2.

After splitting and retranslating the document into six parts, the problem remains.

How to handle it?

Thanks in advance.

Edmund

vollebregt  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 10:40
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
This may help too Feb 22, 2010

I had the same problem (error: "connection with server application error: unable to locate original file") and discovered that the 'original file' that needs to be in the same directory as the bilingual file, is the original file from which the bilingual file was created (powerpoint, excel etc). My client sent me a ttx file (based on an excel sheet) and I cannot convert it into a target file because I actually do not have the original excel sheet.

Just in case there are more of you out there that get stuck on this...

Good luck!

Markus Hoedl  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Same system Nov 22, 2010

I had the same problem today and I guess, I figured out what the problem is (although, I'm not a 100% sure, but since we are using Windows, THIS might be the problem... )

I started on a big .xls (Excel 2003) in one partition of my PC where I have only my translation programs etc. and finished in my second partition where I have ALL the programs I use (also video editing, downloading, etc.).
Before, when I had still stuck on the translation partition, I made several test exports of the target file - NO problem at all. But after having finished the translation in the all-programs partition, I could NOT export it any more, neither in the one nor in the other partition. I had to do a lotta "Alt+ +" to repeat all the translation again (in the translation partition) and then it worked to export the target (in the translation partition) - in the other partition it did NOT work!

This appears to be a bug in Tag Editor (or in Windows) that only on the system we translated the file (AND having the original in the source folder, but this what I am expecting you're doing...) we are able to export it. I didn't realize this until now because usually, I just deliver the .ttx files to my clients and it's not my problem to export the target. But from now on, I'll be aware of not beginning a translation on one system (or on the laptop) and finishing it on the other...

Hope that Trados Studio will be better!

David Dai  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:40
English to Chinese
fyi Apr 11, 2011

I also just came across the problem when saving a ttx file as ppt in tageditor. But after i open powerpoint 2003 software (i also have ppt 2007 in the same pc), the problem was gone... it may be helpful to you too

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag editor: connection with server application error

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs