txt file with tags not recognized by TagEditor
Thread poster: NetTra
NetTra
NetTra
Local time: 02:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 14, 2006

Hello everyone! I'm using Trados 6.5 Freelance and I recieved some files in txt format which include tags that are be recognized by TagEditor.
What should I do in order to "program" my TagEditor so as to recognize those tags? Please help!!!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:40
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You have to know the source of the txt files Sep 14, 2006

It is not as simple as dropping the txt file on the Tageditor window. If there is no information about the creator of this file (Story Collector or similar), Tageditor will not find the proper filter settings and thus not open the file.

Instead of opening such files in Tageditor I would recommend to open them in Word and to add styles to the TAGs (tw4external tw4internal) on your own, using the Search&Replace function in Word.

regards
Jerzy

NetTra
NetTra
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Large volume / AS400 Sep 14, 2006

Thank you, Jerzy.
The thing is that I have a large number of files to work on, so it would be an extrimely time consuming job to make the find/replace task.
I've been told that the files were originally in AS400 and then the specif text for translation was (somehow) exported to txt files.

Otherwise, do you know any way so as to find/replace in many files at the same time?

Thanks again!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I do not know AS400 Sep 14, 2006

And in fact I´m quite sure Trados does not support this format.
As for S&E - just record a macro for that. You do not even need to write it, use the macro recorder, give a name for that macro and assign a shortcut. So after opening any file you will be able to call this macro very quickly.

There are surely other methods for doing that, but I´m afraid I do not know them.

Regards
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I would use TortoiseTagger Sep 14, 2006

The thing is that I have a large number of files to work on, so it would be an extrimely time consuming job to make the find/replace task.

You can google for the name and down load it - and the author, Alexei, is around here now and then -. It is a plugIn / VBA project for Word, allowing you to specify on one hand the rules for searching and changing (as Jerry suggested) and then used them in batch mode one subdirectory at a time.

Writing regular expressions and search and replace rules can be REALLY exasperating and TortoiseTagger (with dox and examples etc) helped me out in quite a few cases.

Regards

NetTra
NetTra
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AS400 Sep 15, 2006

Thank you Jerzy.

I've been told that AS400 is IBM and not widely used anymore. Thank you for the macro suggestion too. I believe those are my only options.

Regards,

Paola

NetTra
NetTra
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tortoise Tagger Sep 15, 2006

Thank you Vito:

Actually, I had just downloaded it after browsing other forums and found that one. I'm still browsing its contents trying to understand, but hopefully one of these optiones will be useful. Thanks again!

Regards,
Paola

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use IBM translation Manager! Sep 19, 2006

Hi all,

If these files are in any way related to IBM, and especially AS 400, they are most probably formatted to work with IBM's native CAT tool, IBM TM.

I used to work with AS 400 files for two years, using this CAT tool.

It was/is distributed for free, but was only made available to IBM's own translators and vendors. So you should ask your client to get an install CD, or search well known sources for software online (DC++, various torrent sites).
... See more
Hi all,

If these files are in any way related to IBM, and especially AS 400, they are most probably formatted to work with IBM's native CAT tool, IBM TM.

I used to work with AS 400 files for two years, using this CAT tool.

It was/is distributed for free, but was only made available to IBM's own translators and vendors. So you should ask your client to get an install CD, or search well known sources for software online (DC++, various torrent sites).

Maybe even some other Proz user can set you up with a copy? Since it's not sold for money, IBM should have nothing against it.

You'll find that it can swallow these txt files perfectly!

/Jan
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
re TortoiseTagger Sep 20, 2006

I'm still browsing its contents

Let me know, if I can help you. If you send me a piece of the file, I can sketch a solution.

re AS/400 and other suggestions: the problem is not to find thre software that will know what to make of this file; the problem is adapt this file in such a way that Trados will be able to handle it. If I misunderstood the situation, then I have a very simple suggestion: notepad.

Regards

Vito

NetTra
NetTra
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great information Oct 3, 2006

Hello Jan:

Thank you very much for your help. This seems to be great information for me. I didn't even know that IBM had its own CAT tool.

I'll find out more about it and see what happens.

Thank you again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

txt file with tags not recognized by TagEditor

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »