https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/55890-opening_a_rc_file_with_tageditor.html

Opening a .rc file with TagEditor
Thread poster: Francesca Pezzoli
Francesca Pezzoli
Francesca Pezzoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:09
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 22, 2006

Hi all,

I've just received a set of .rc files to be translated. I tried to open them with TagEditor, as suggested in Trados User's Guide, but the following message appears:

Error when using plug-in file filters: The selected file is not in Visual Studio generated format. It could be generated by other resource editors or manually edited. Would you like to try to open this file anyway?

If I answer Yes, I get the following message:

80003: TagEdi
... See more
Hi all,

I've just received a set of .rc files to be translated. I tried to open them with TagEditor, as suggested in Trados User's Guide, but the following message appears:

Error when using plug-in file filters: The selected file is not in Visual Studio generated format. It could be generated by other resource editors or manually edited. Would you like to try to open this file anyway?

If I answer Yes, I get the following message:

80003: TagEditor is unable to open this document because the file type is not recognised.

Am I doing something wrong? Or will I just have to translate the files without TagEditor, with another tool?

Any suggestion is really appreciated, thank you!!!
Collapse

Elizabeth Sánchez León
Elizabeth Sánchez León  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you tried with MS Word? Sep 22, 2006

As rc files are text only files I suggest you to open them with MS Word and translating them with that tool, using Workbench.

These type of files include all the instructions of the developer, so you have to be aware that you will find lots of non translateable items.

Good luck!

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
tw4winPrepareRC.Main macro might help Sep 22, 2006

I don't know why Tag Editor doesn't like your .rc files, but you could prepare them in Word and translate them with either Word or Tag Editor.
To prepare the files open them in Word and run the Trados tw4winPrepareRC.Main macro. Then seach and replace the style of all ampersands to tw4WinInternal. (They should be displayed in red afterwards.)
Save the file as an .rtf file. You can then translate it with Word or open it with TE and save it as a .ttx file.

Unfortunately
... See more
I don't know why Tag Editor doesn't like your .rc files, but you could prepare them in Word and translate them with either Word or Tag Editor.
To prepare the files open them in Word and run the Trados tw4winPrepareRC.Main macro. Then seach and replace the style of all ampersands to tw4WinInternal. (They should be displayed in red afterwards.)
Save the file as an .rtf file. You can then translate it with Word or open it with TE and save it as a .ttx file.

Unfortunately the macro is quite old might and sometimes marks up strings for translation that aren't meant to be translated. E.g. "resource.h\0". If you're familiar with .rc files, you could spot check your file and mark them as twWinExternal.

Olaf

[Edited at 2006-09-22 18:11]
Collapse

Francesca Pezzoli
Francesca Pezzoli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 23, 2006

to you both!

[Edited at 2006-09-23 18:16]

Opening RC files Oct 22, 2007

I have found that all Trados is looking for is the declaration saying that the file was built by MS Visual studio. That is:

//Microsoft Developer Studio generated resource script.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening a .rc file with TagEditor

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »