Michael McCain (X)
Michael McCain (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:51
Arabic to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2006

SDLX 2006 Build 6010 Standard Version.
Microsoft Powerpoint 2000 SP-3 (9.0.8942).
French to English.

When I convert translated .itd's into new Powerpoint files via Project Wizard, the language setting on the new files is still French, the source language. Since you cannot change the langauge of an entire Powerpoint file in one step, I have to manually change the language to English slide-by-slide. When the slides contain Notes pages, I have to repeat these steps and ma
... See more
SDLX 2006 Build 6010 Standard Version.
Microsoft Powerpoint 2000 SP-3 (9.0.8942).
French to English.

When I convert translated .itd's into new Powerpoint files via Project Wizard, the language setting on the new files is still French, the source language. Since you cannot change the langauge of an entire Powerpoint file in one step, I have to manually change the language to English slide-by-slide. When the slides contain Notes pages, I have to repeat these steps and manually change the language of each notes page. The reason I bother changing the language is to prevent every word of the presentation from being underlined in red. Anyone know of a solution?
Collapse

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Switch it off? Sep 28, 2006

Hi Michael,

If the underlines is the only thing that bugs you, why don't you just switch off "Spell check while typing" (or whatever this is called in the respective Office language) in Tools>Options?

Regards,
Stefan

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
You can try an old solution of mine Sep 28, 2006

http://www.proz.com/post/245440#245440

HTH

Antonin

Michael McCain (X)
France
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why switching off "Spell check while typing" isn't an adequate solution Oct 1, 2006

Stefan Keller wrote:

Hi Michael,

If the underlines is the only thing that bugs you, why don't you just switch off "Spell check while typing" (or whatever this is called in the respective Office language) in Tools>Options?

Regards,
Stefan

Hi Stefan, thanks for your feedback.

Two reasons why I don't do what you suggest:

1) I like to run a final spell check after re-formatting any charts that were corrupted due to text expansion, hard returns, etc. AND after manually translating text in art object boxes that wasn't extracted by SDL.

2) I don't want the client to receive the file in this condition since they might not think to de-select this feature and they might want to use spell checker after editing the translation.

However, if I don't find a solution, I will consider delivering the files as-is and perhaps suggesting they do it in-house or billing them for the time I spend manually changing the language (a lot, considering I've done over 250K words for them).

Michael

Michael McCain (X)
France
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution worked Oct 1, 2006

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

http://www.proz.com/post/245440#245440

HTH

Antonin

The above post answered my question. Problem solved.
Thank you!
Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX & Powerpoint: incorrect language setting on new files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »