Mobile menu

Does Trados SDL work without Office?
Thread poster: Gwidon Naskrent

Gwidon Naskrent  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:10
English to Polish
+ ...
Sep 28, 2006

I'm going to purchase Trados SDL, as I heard that it can translate DOC and RTF files without the assistance of Word or without any MS Office component installed. Is it true? What caveats are there, if any, that I should consider? I know that spellchecking will not work, but that is not a problem for me as I will spellcheck in OO or another word processor.

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:10
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
You can use Tageditor Sep 28, 2006

Hi Gwidon,

OpenOffice works with TagEditor only, as far as I could see. OO Writer doesn't show the typical TWB integration one has with MS Word (or at least I didn't figure out how to), so the only solution was to use TagEditor for all OO modules.

You cannot deliver the typical MS Word uncleaned documents some clients/editors insist on, but definitely bilingual TagEditor files (together with translated files - "Save Target As...").

The problem could be solved by the client using the "Translate" option in TWB of the MSWord original file, provided that the set match value is not too high, as TagEditor segmentation is sometimes quite different from the segmentation provided by TWB directly in MSWord.. I am not quite sure clients would want to invest this time in the process though, which could be time absorbing with some files with a lot of formatting;-)

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Trados SDL work without Office?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs