Thread poster: Gwidon Naskrent
Gwidon Naskrent
Gwidon Naskrent  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:51
English to Polish
+ ...
Sep 28, 2006

I'm going to purchase Trados SDL, as I heard that it can translate DOC and RTF files without the assistance of Word or without any MS Office component installed. Is it true? What caveats are there, if any, that I should consider? I know that spellchecking will not work, but that is not a problem for me as I will spellcheck in OO or another word processor.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:51
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
You can use Tageditor Sep 28, 2006

Hi Gwidon,

OpenOffice works with TagEditor only, as far as I could see. OO Writer doesn't show the typical TWB integration one has with MS Word (or at least I didn't figure out how to), so the only solution was to use TagEditor for all OO modules.

You cannot deliver the typical MS Word uncleaned documents some clients/editors insist on, but definitely bilingual TagEditor files (together with translated files - "Save Target As...").

The problem could be solv
... See more
Hi Gwidon,

OpenOffice works with TagEditor only, as far as I could see. OO Writer doesn't show the typical TWB integration one has with MS Word (or at least I didn't figure out how to), so the only solution was to use TagEditor for all OO modules.

You cannot deliver the typical MS Word uncleaned documents some clients/editors insist on, but definitely bilingual TagEditor files (together with translated files - "Save Target As...").

The problem could be solved by the client using the "Translate" option in TWB of the MSWord original file, provided that the set match value is not too high, as TagEditor segmentation is sometimes quite different from the segmentation provided by TWB directly in MSWord.. I am not quite sure clients would want to invest this time in the process though, which could be time absorbing with some files with a lot of formatting;-)

Giuliana
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Trados SDL work without Office?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »