Mobile menu

Error when cleaning up SGML files in Trados version 5
Thread poster: Nicole Martin

Nicole Martin
Local time: 03:56
German to English
Oct 2, 2006

One of my colleagues translated an SGML file in TagEditor (Trados version 5), then tried to clean it up. The log file noted five errors each for 33201 and 33203 (marks for starting and ending translation units are missing). With each error, it said it was "at offset xxxxxxx (e.g. 1010104, 1020237, etc.). Paragraph skipped!"
Then it ended with "File skipped!" and of course there is no cleaned version.

I have had this problem before with files translated in Word and know how to fix that. But I've never run into it with TagEditor before. I have no idea where the errors are (I don't know what "offset xxxxxxx" means or where that point in the file is) and I don't know how the translation unit marks could be missing. It doesn't appear TagEditor even uses those marks.
Is there a way to fix this? Or did the file just somehow get corrupted and it can't be fixed? I've tried Trados help and the Trados knowledge base, and I've looked for the same problem in these forums, but I can't find any information.
I would appreciate any information you have!

Direct link Reply with quote
Local time: 09:56
English to German
You can convert the .TTX file to an .RTF file Oct 2, 2006

Hi Nicole,

You can create an .RTF version of your .TTX file in TagEditor. Simply open the .TTX file in TagEditor, press CTRL+A, followed by CTRL+C. Then create a new document in Word, paste the contents into the new Word document and save it as an .RTF file. Then clean the .RTF file into a blank TM and search the .RTF file for for text marked with tw4winError.
See for more information.
Then open the .TTX file and fix the segment(s). If the segments seem to be OK, look for extra line breaks near segment delimters and delete them.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error when cleaning up SGML files in Trados version 5

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs