TM is becoming huge ! Any workarounds ?
Thread poster: gilkain
gilkain
gilkain
Local time: 08:12
English to French
+ ...
Oct 6, 2006

We are using WB 5.5 desktop. The size of the TM is 580.000 Mb or 1.305.000 units.
We are 60 translators to use it. Every morning we download the memory from the server onto our local PC and a script updates the central memory at night.
The TM is becoming huge and it takes time to download it every day ! Is there a way to work around that situation?
Our network is old, congested and does not support client-server.
Thank you !

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
filter out Oct 6, 2006

The size of the TM is 580.000 Mb or 1.305.000 units.
We are 60 translators to use it...
Is there a way to work around that situation?
Our network is old, congested and does not support client-server.

Filter the TM. You haven't used text or attribute fields to label project related TUs (do so in future) so you should filter on anything available, i.e. creation dates, creation user, changed by...
Use the filter to export parts of your TM into WBtxt of which you can create new, smaller TMs.
Use the filter in maintenance to delete or label everything you have succesfully exported.
When working on a new project, use project and filter settings to label TUs and search the TM.

If this doesn't work on 5.5, get a 7.5.
60 translators could afford the Pro version (which is network enabled.)

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try Big Ma - little Ma approach Oct 6, 2006

I am talking on the basis of my 7.x experience, but either it applies to 5.5 or it makes one more reason to upgrade.

Why not have everybody use TWO, instead of one TM only? TWB allows it. The Big Ma would be the CDROM-size-approaching Mother-of-them-all TM, to be updated not daily but say weekly, and the little Mas would take care of the daily workload plus update (weekly for instance) the Big Ma.

Note that Big Ma would be in a read/only mode, which is even better,
... See more
I am talking on the basis of my 7.x experience, but either it applies to 5.5 or it makes one more reason to upgrade.

Why not have everybody use TWO, instead of one TM only? TWB allows it. The Big Ma would be the CDROM-size-approaching Mother-of-them-all TM, to be updated not daily but say weekly, and the little Mas would take care of the daily workload plus update (weekly for instance) the Big Ma.

Note that Big Ma would be in a read/only mode, which is even better, because you would be spared any wild, spur-of-the-moment updates. And the version distributed would stay as-is - no mixing of come-and-go segments with the real good stuff.

This may even help your QC guy or gal;)

Note that the frequency of updates / downloads is a result of several compromises. I know for sure I would ask for a second look, before my yesterday's workload gets exposed to a possible ridicule by my colleagues.

regards

smo

[Edited at 2006-10-06 12:21]
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Big Ma- Little Ma Oct 6, 2006

Vitomir (Vito) Smolej wrote:

Why not have everybody use TWO, instead of one TM only? TWB allows it.

[Edited at 2006-10-06 12:21]

Hi Vito,

AFAIR the two-memory concordance option was introduced in WB 6.x (at least, it's not mentioned in my WB 5.x manual but it's there in the WB 6.x documentation).

It is, as you say, very useful indeed and a compelling argument in favour of an update.

HTH

Giles

gilkain
gilkain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still looking... Oct 6, 2006

Thanks to those who already posted a reply.

I know an update would be necessary but I am working in a highly secure environment and it would take at least a year to have the new version approved by our security people.

Until then I need to find a way to continue to work.....

Have all a nice week-end !

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"I'm too busy right now for anything important" Oct 6, 2006

...it would take at least a year to have the new version approved by our security people!

So why not start right now?

Regards and hope you make it...

Vito

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:12
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Put it in the spin dryer Oct 6, 2006

SDLX or Trados?

In "pre Trados" SDLX (don't know about the new one), open the TM in Maintain. Then: Tools/Utilities/Compact translation memory. This will defragment it. I don't know how much that will shrink a TM that size, but it's worth trying.

HTH

Chris

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Export and pack maybe... Oct 7, 2006

Try exporting it and packing the resulting txt file - it might be smaller... The export will take a long time, though...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM is becoming huge ! Any workarounds ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »