A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 9, 2006

Hi

My dongle for TRADOS 5.5 Freelance died whilst in the middle of a project and I was forced to upgrade to 7. I'm now working on another project and have the following dilemma:

I have been given a .doc file which is an updated version of a file I translated with TRADOS 5.5 last year. I used Workbench 7.0 to open last year's TM (created using 5.5) and then I open this new .doc file. When start translating, no matches are found at all. It's as if I were translating
... See more
Hi

My dongle for TRADOS 5.5 Freelance died whilst in the middle of a project and I was forced to upgrade to 7. I'm now working on another project and have the following dilemma:

I have been given a .doc file which is an updated version of a file I translated with TRADOS 5.5 last year. I used Workbench 7.0 to open last year's TM (created using 5.5) and then I open this new .doc file. When start translating, no matches are found at all. It's as if I were translating a completely different document. What am I doing wrong? Since version 7 doesn't come with a Workspace, I'm not sure if I'm actually adding this new file to the project correctly. Also, I can't open the tutorial "new to trados" as my computer doesn't recognise the .dbd format. I'm completely lost! Please help.

Thanks

Ana
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Trados TM Oct 9, 2006

I am not quite sure, but I guess the Trados memory format is different from version 5 to 7. May be you can try to export it from version 5 to a text format, like txt or tmx , and reimport them to version 7.

No estoy seguro, pero creo qu el formato de la memoria de Trados 5 y 7 son incompatibles. Sugiero prueba a exportar la memoria de la versión 5 a un formato de texto, como txt o tmx, y lo reimportes a la versión 7.

Babelfischli
Babelfischli  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Export - Import Oct 10, 2006

I agree with Pablo. When upgrading from 5.5 to 7, I had to export my TMs as well.

Hth
Claudia

A. Deb
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I export from 5.5? Oct 10, 2006

Thank you both for your replies. My problem is that I have opened the old 5.5 TM in version 7 and it recognises it as a version 7 TM. If I then open the original file I translated last year, I can see that the segments translated have indeed been saved, although they appear in yellow as opposed to green (not sure why). But if I open the updated file that I'm trying to translated now. Not one single segment is recognised.

Furthermore, I can't open the old 5.5 workbench at all a
... See more
Thank you both for your replies. My problem is that I have opened the old 5.5 TM in version 7 and it recognises it as a version 7 TM. If I then open the original file I translated last year, I can see that the segments translated have indeed been saved, although they appear in yellow as opposed to green (not sure why). But if I open the updated file that I'm trying to translated now. Not one single segment is recognised.

Furthermore, I can't open the old 5.5 workbench at all anymore. I suppose because I've updated to 7.

The plot thickens! Any ideas?

Ana
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Multiple Translations? Oct 10, 2006

Is it possible that your memory is Multiple-Translations-enabled?

To check this, open the memory in Workbench and then click File|Properties. The first item in the list of properties should be "Allows Multiple Translations".

If this setting is reported as "Yes", the case is solved. In the case of a memory that contains multiple translations, a deduction, called "penalty" is made from the match value of each match. The default penalty is 1 %.

HTH,
Be
... See more
Is it possible that your memory is Multiple-Translations-enabled?

To check this, open the memory in Workbench and then click File|Properties. The first item in the list of properties should be "Allows Multiple Translations".

If this setting is reported as "Yes", the case is solved. In the case of a memory that contains multiple translations, a deduction, called "penalty" is made from the match value of each match. The default penalty is 1 %.

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: I'm also using Trados 5 memories here in Trados 7.5 and never had to export/import anything.
Collapse

A. Deb
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Should "allow mutiple translations" be set to "yes" or "no" Oct 10, 2006

Hi Benjamin

Forgive my ignorance, but I've checked the "allows mutliple translations" option and it's already set to "yes". Should it be set to "no"?

Thanks

Ana

A. Deb
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Segments open regardless of TM that's open Oct 10, 2006

Still getting nowhere. I've just discovered, that if I open the old file translated with 5.5, I can open any segment and see the original translation I did regardless of which TM is open in Workbench. How can this be possible? Surely the translation I did using 5.5 must be linked solely to the TM I created for it. Now I'm totally confused!

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
No unless you have good reason Oct 10, 2006

Ana D. wrote:

Hi Benjamin

Forgive my ignorance, but I've checked the "allows mutliple translations" option and it's already set to "yes". Should it be set to "no"?

Thanks

Ana

My recommendation is to keep this setting OFF when creating new TMs - unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Now that your TM already contains multiple translations for single source segments, there's no way back. All you can do is set the penalty for Multiple Translations to 0% (if you know what you're doing.)

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: This seems like a good time to sign up for a Trados training course...

[Edited at 2006-10-10 13:23]

Ma. Fernanda Blesa
Ma. Fernanda Blesa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
do this Oct 10, 2006

Ana D. wrote:

Still getting nowhere. I've just discovered, that if I open the old file translated with 5.5, I can open any segment and see the original translation I did regardless of which TM is open in Workbench. How can this be possible? Surely the translation I did using 5.5 must be linked solely to the TM I created for it. Now I'm totally confused!

Hi Ana,

This is OK, it's simply that the old document has all the TUs in it so if you open them you can "set" and save them to your new TM. This is what you'll have to do if you can't open version 5.5 anymore. If you can, you just open the old TM with translator's workbench (5.5) and choose File > Export to export it to .txt format. Then open Trados 7 workbench and choose File > Import to import your txt memory.

My guess though is that you'll have to open and set every TU from your old document and re-create the TM in Trados 7.

good luck!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
A few comments Oct 10, 2006

Hi Ana,
There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to open a version 5 TM using version 7. It is, however, advisable to export the TM and re-create it from scratch (not using the Copy function), and to re-import the entries. When looking at the TM properties, the Database version should be 7.

To (re-)import the old file into a new TM, you can use the Cleanup function - no need to go through the old segments one by one.

A reason why T5.x is no
... See more
Hi Ana,
There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to open a version 5 TM using version 7. It is, however, advisable to export the TM and re-create it from scratch (not using the Copy function), and to re-import the entries. When looking at the TM properties, the Database version should be 7.

To (re-)import the old file into a new TM, you can use the Cleanup function - no need to go through the old segments one by one.

A reason why T5.x is no longer working could be that this still requires a dongle, whereas the new version works with a license file.

- Have you registered version 7 after installing it?
- Have you reorganised the TM?
- Have you analysed the new file? If yes, what are the results?

Try and run a document comparison between the two versions of the document - it's happened to me several times that what was supposed to be a "minor update" was, in fact, a major re-write.

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

A. Deb
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks to all of you! Oct 10, 2006

Many thanks to everyone. You're more coherent than the TRAOS help could ever be! In case anyone else has this trouble, I used a combination of all your advice to get the Workbench to work with the file.

I created a new TM in version 7.
I imported the old TM.
I analysed the new file.
Bingo!

Apart from that, I feel like I've learned a lot more about TRADOS 7 thanks to all your support. You really are all stars and I'm truly grateful as my TRADOS t
... See more
Many thanks to everyone. You're more coherent than the TRAOS help could ever be! In case anyone else has this trouble, I used a combination of all your advice to get the Workbench to work with the file.

I created a new TM in version 7.
I imported the old TM.
I analysed the new file.
Bingo!

Apart from that, I feel like I've learned a lot more about TRADOS 7 thanks to all your support. You really are all stars and I'm truly grateful as my TRADOS training course isn't until November. Don't know what I would have done without you all.

Many thanks.

Ana
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
Dubt about TM 5.5 an TM 7 Oct 10, 2006

Hi Ralf,

I didn't understanf in full what you say?
WB TM 5.5 never worked for me in WB TM 7, without exporting and reorganising it trough TMX. May you explain me what has the dongle and the lic.file to do with? TIA.

Hallo Ralf,

ich verstehe nicht ganz was du sagst. Die WB 5.5 TM funktionierte niemals in dieWB 7 TM für mich., ohne diese duch den TMX format zu exportieren und reorganisieren. Was hat dies mit dem Dongle oder die Lizenz zu tun? Vielen Da
... See more
Hi Ralf,

I didn't understanf in full what you say?
WB TM 5.5 never worked for me in WB TM 7, without exporting and reorganising it trough TMX. May you explain me what has the dongle and the lic.file to do with? TIA.

Hallo Ralf,

ich verstehe nicht ganz was du sagst. Die WB 5.5 TM funktionierte niemals in dieWB 7 TM für mich., ohne diese duch den TMX format zu exportieren und reorganisieren. Was hat dies mit dem Dongle oder die Lizenz zu tun? Vielen Dank im Voraus.

mfg
Pablo B.

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Ana,

A reason why T5.x is no longer working could be that this still requires a dongle, whereas the new version works with a license file.

- Have you registered version 7 after installing it?
- Have you reorganised the TM?
- Have you analysed the new file? If yes, what are the results?

Try and run a document comparison between the two versions of the document - it's happened to me several times that what was supposed to be a "minor update" was, in fact, a major re-write.

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Upwards compatibility Oct 10, 2006

Hi Pablo,
No need to post bilingually...

WB TM 5.5 never worked for me in WB TM 7, without exporting and reorganising it trough TMX.

TMX is only necessary to exchange data with other TM applications - Trados/Trados data exchange works with .txt exports.
To find out what may have been the problem, you would need to describe it in more detail: what exactly do you mean by "never worked"?

May you explain me what has the dongle and the lic.file to do with?

Ana said that she couldn't run T5.x any longer; my take on this was that her old version required a dongle (which, according to her, was broken), whereas a completely new T7 version (i) runs with a license file (no longer with a dongle), and (ii) is unlikely to include a T5.x license.

I haven't tested if T5.x can run under a T7 license file; in any case, to switch between versions, you would need to register each version before running it.

HTH - Ralf

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
Upwards compatibility Oct 11, 2006

Hi Ralf,

i know, not need to post billingually, but it guess it's a matter of courtesy and my english is not quite good (and we are translators ).
In behalf of Trados TM, I thought Trados 7 was able to import Trados 5 .tmw format directly, without going trough txt neither tmx format before. That is what I meant, when I said 'it never worked for me'. Now its clear. Thx & have a nice time

Pablo B.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade to TRADOS 7 from 5.5 Freelance

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »