Mobile menu

preparing xml files for import into Multiterm, help needed.
Thread poster: Jesus Garrido-Muro

Jesus Garrido-Muro
Local time: 15:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 10, 2006

Hello everybody,

I have a huge glossary in xml format I need to import into Multiterm (trados version 6.5). I create my termbase according to the structure of the xml. I go to import entries and use the default import definition, press Process but no entries are added. My log file gives me no clues:
General information:
Import definition name: Default import definition
Termbase name: objetivo
Import file: C:\objetivo\experimento.xml
Import log file: C:\objetivo\experimento.log
Exclusion file: xc
Allow over-complete entries: false
Allow incomplete entries: true
Ignore sub-languages: true
Fast import: false

Import Options:
Import all entries: Add import entry as new

Original Entry Number Action Entry Number in Termbase

Total entries processed: 0
Total entries added: 0
Total entries merged: 0
Total entries omitted: 0
Total entries written to the output file: 0

Import process started: 10/10/2006 13:57:09
Import process ended: 10/10/2006 13:57:09

The structure of my glossary is quite simple. Example:
vaccine
Spanish Vacuna contra [el/la
Source USP

That's all. I have done a thorough research on the subject in this forum and read all the related topics but I can't seem to find a solution. I am starting to get hopeless and any hint would be highly appreciated
Thank you all in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
xdt Oct 10, 2006

Import definition name: Default import definition

That's all.

the XML file needs its own XDT (import def).
the slightest difference (between import definitions) will cause Multiterm (7.1) to sort of ignore all data, however simple they may be.

I really think that's it.

Jesus Garrido-Muro
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
preparing xml files for import into Multiterm, help needed." topic in the "SDL Trados Suppor Oct 10, 2006

the XML file needs its own XDT (import def).
the slightest difference (between import definitions) will cause Multiterm (7.1) to sort of ignore all data, however simple they may be.

I really think that's it. [/quote]

what I dont understand is why it is ignoring the data if the default import definition corresponds to that of the termbase and I created such definition according to the structure of the xml document
I have tried the following:
I created an extra xdt file for xml using the impor wizard. I select the xdt I just created, pressed process and still cero entries in the termbase

Iam really running out of solutions

Any help would be highly appreciated

And thank you Saitch for your answer

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
another try Oct 10, 2006

The structure of my glossary is quite simple. Example:

vaccine
Spanish Vacuna contra [el/la
Source USP

perhaps you were in to much of a hurry but the above structure SHOULD read:

English vaccine
Spanish Vacuna contra &c
Source USP

Omitting the 'English' header will render the thing unreadable.
(also: in Index field LABEL --where you are inputting your own inport def-- it should say 'English', just so; not EN_US or anything even in the slightest different from the header)

What puzzles me: are you exporting/importing yourself?
If a client sent you an xml they should have also sent you an xdt.
If you are exporting (and later importing into a different MT) the xdt is automatically produced with the xml (you only need to name and store it someplace to be used again).

Well, maybe it's only the header...

Remember also: in defining import defs for a given xml you can add fields but absolutely not subtract/omit/delete even a single one.

I know, by the way, how much trouble MT can pile up in no time fast. It's always been, in my experience (and experiments) about absolute precision. You can get a lot out of MT, but it is to be treated as a very basic data processor; it needs to be told everything several times (for a single Termbase) and each time exactly so (told, that is).

Jesus Garrido-Muro
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"preparing xml files for import into Multiterm, help needed." topic in the "SDL Trados Support" Oct 11, 2006

You were right, very right. Since I am not very experienced with this Trados tool I thought I should create the xdt myself. I finally spoke to my client and sent me the xdt. Conversion finally worked smoothly. So many hours wasted for nothing. At least I learned something I wont forget

Thanks a million for your help

Regards

Jesús

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

preparing xml files for import into Multiterm, help needed.

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs