SDXL: Soft return in segment (created by pressing Shift+Enter) turns into a square
Thread poster: Michael McCain (X)
Michael McCain (X)
Michael McCain (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:43
Arabic to English
+ ...
Oct 10, 2006

SDL Edit 2006 build 6010 FR>EN PowerPoint

I convert a PowerPoint to an itd with "don't segment after hard returns" checked so that text in text boxes in flow charts is not
broken into segments. As a result, some text that should be segmented is fused into one segment, such as the title on the first slide and the subtitle just under it. My solution: enter a soft return (Shift+Enter) in the segment so that the translated Powerpoint will have a hard return after the title, for ex
... See more
SDL Edit 2006 build 6010 FR>EN PowerPoint

I convert a PowerPoint to an itd with "don't segment after hard returns" checked so that text in text boxes in flow charts is not
broken into segments. As a result, some text that should be segmented is fused into one segment, such as the title on the first slide and the subtitle just under it. My solution: enter a soft return (Shift+Enter) in the segment so that the translated Powerpoint will have a hard return after the title, for example. The problem is that a large square appears in place of the hard return. Any suggestions?

Thank you, Michael

[Edited at 2006-10-10 21:23]
Collapse

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:43
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Alternative solution Oct 10, 2006

Not sure about your problem - does the square appear in the ITD or in the final Powerpoint file (ie. after conversion)? If you haven't converted the ITD back yet, you might want to try and do so - the end-result might be fine.

Another possible work-around might be to split the segment between title and subtitle (to do that place the coursor in the source text at the position where you want to split the segment, right-click and select "Split" from the context menu). For some reason t
... See more
Not sure about your problem - does the square appear in the ITD or in the final Powerpoint file (ie. after conversion)? If you haven't converted the ITD back yet, you might want to try and do so - the end-result might be fine.

Another possible work-around might be to split the segment between title and subtitle (to do that place the coursor in the source text at the position where you want to split the segment, right-click and select "Split" from the context menu). For some reason this isn't always possible, but it might be worth a try.
Collapse

Traduloc
Traduloc
Spain
English to Spanish
I am afraid this is a bug in the latest SDLX build Oct 10, 2006

The red square is a mini-space that appears in the latest SDLX build when you press the shift key while pressing the space bar. To avoid this, be sure you have the option to show the red dots in the spaces activated.

I hope this helps.
Regards
Jose

Michael McCain (X)
France
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The square appears after conversion to PowerPoint Oct 10, 2006

Thomas Pfann wrote:

Another possible work-around might be to split the segment between title and subtitle (to do that place the coursor in the source text at the position where you want to split the segment, right-click and select "Split" from the context menu). For some reason this isn't always possible, but it might be worth a try.

In the itd, there's a red paragraph arrow where I enter the soft return, indicating the program understands what I'm trying to do. Plus, when I mouse over it, a small window that says "Paragraph" pops up. After conversion, the large, useless square appears where there should be hard returns. I can't do a search and replace as the square cannot be copied/pasted into the search/replace window.

I tried the work-around of splitting the segment, but the segments are fused again after coversion.

I have to manually enter the hard returns throughout the PowerPoint, which takes considerable time given I do several PowerPoints a day.

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:43
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
maybe SDLX support can help Oct 10, 2006

Yes, that's annoying having to it all manually. I'm afraid I can't think of anything else.

You might want to check the SDLX support website and maybe log your problem there. They can probably either help you with a solution or at least become aware of the problem and solve it for future releases (if it is a bug).

Michael McCain (X)
France
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, these squares appear after conversion Oct 10, 2006

Jose,

I've noticed the bug you're referring to, but my problem occurs AFTER conversion.

I just noticed that when I click File>Menu>Properties and open the Contents tab in PowerPoint - where a list of the presentation's headings appears - there is an Asian/double-byte character in place of the squares. This leads me to believe it's a font issue. I've logged the question on the SDL website and will keep you all informed.

Michael

Michael McCain (X)
France
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer found Oct 18, 2006

David Pooley, an SDLX engineer, had this to say:

----------------------------------------------------
"Hi Michael,

I believe these are unicode "line seperators" which is the character that gets inserted in to SDL Edit when you press Shift+Enter. Not all filters in SDLX know how to deal with these characters and therefore you may get strange results in
those filters as you have discovered.

I've just uploaded a PPT in to the files sections of the
... See more
David Pooley, an SDLX engineer, had this to say:

"Hi Michael,

I believe these are unicode "line seperators" which is the character that gets inserted in to SDL Edit when you press Shift+Enter. Not all filters in SDLX know how to deal with these characters and therefore you may get strange results in
those filters as you have discovered.

I've just uploaded a PPT in to the files sections of the group called
"ReplaceSquares.ppt". It contains a macro which processes the active presentation and attempts to replace these line separator characters with a carriage return/linefeed pair. I tested it on a simple presentation and it seems to work OK. It may be possible to do this with a simple search/replace operation of course but I didn't try that.

Regards,

David"
If you need this macro, contact me or sign up for the Yahoo SDLX tech user group.

Michael
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDXL: Soft return in segment (created by pressing Shift+Enter) turns into a square

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »