TagEditor locked some segments
Thread poster: shule
shule
shule  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:51
English to Turkish
+ ...
Oct 10, 2006

While working on a document with so many repetations and fuzzy matches I touched some key combinations by mistake and the segment I was working on became untranslatable. There is nothing wrong with the previous or next segment but it just won't open in any way. İt has happened more than once and now I have some segments untranslated.

What can I do?

I am using SDL Trados 2006 on Windows XP.

William Wu
William Wu
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
You do not need translate this part ! Oct 11, 2006

I suggest you can make a note : that it is wrong and give the right answer.

As from the translation company it is supposed don't translate this, and they won't pay you that money as well.

[or unlock]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 14:51
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What are you using - TagEditor or Word? Oct 11, 2006

In Word highlight the questionable segment and change its format to "translatable" - that's what I would assume is the problem.

Why dont you go back to the original file and pretranslate it? Whatever has happened to that segment, it for sure is not in the translation memory. Having a TM and original is a very safe backup for all kinds of snafus.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2006-10-11 14:59]

shule
shule  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not Word Oct 11, 2006

I know that there is such a style in Word (DO_NOT_TRANSLATE); however I am using Tag Editor, not Word. I have just typed a wrong combination of keys Alt+Del+sth. i don't know, while working on Tag Editor. There was no untranslatable segment at the beginning. Now there are a few segments untranslated, which are not very very important but it still makes me wonder why?

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 14:51
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
is it segments or tags? Oct 11, 2006

Now there are a few segments untranslated, .... it still makes me wonder why?

Somehow they must have turned into tags or externals... Have a look at them using maintainance function of TWB, advanced edit allows you to delete or change all kind of things (like tag formats in front of the text you can not access).

shule
shule  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's OK. Oct 12, 2006

I turned of the protection of external tags and entered the same segment manually by Insert Tag option. Now there is no problem. Thanks for your suggestions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor locked some segments

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »