Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova

Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:07
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 15, 2006

I have a batch of files with high 100% matches' percentage, which I am asked not to check.
How can I lock them after pretranslation to be able not to go through all of them while translating?

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:07
Italian to English
Why don't you... Oct 15, 2006

... just use the

Set/Close Next no 100% Get/Open

command from the Trados menu in Word?

The default shortcut is Alt+Ctrl+S.

There is a similar command in TagEditor (Open next no 100%/Get) with its own shortcut (Alt+Ctrl+Home).

HTH

Giles

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would like to precisize the information given above Oct 15, 2006

After you do the pretranstation on the files, open them (one by one or in a batch, doesn´t matter).
In any opened file press first "CTRL+ALT+HOME" (STRG+ALT+POS1 on a German system) to open the first not 100% match. After you have edited this press "CTRL+ALT+(NUM+)" to close this match and skip to the next not 100% and open it. In this way you can move through the file without opening any 100% match, pretranslated by the machine.

If you have the LSP version of Trados, you could also use the function X-Translate and tell Tageditor not to open pretranslated segments.

Regards
Jerzy

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
How about alt+* ? Oct 16, 2006

I use translate to fuzzy icon or the alt+*-shortcut. I wonder if Jerzy's Ctrl+alt+plus works differently?

When the relation between known segments and unknown (less than 100% match) is high (much old text but little new) you might export the unknowns to rtf and count, if you get the same result as in the analysis. I had in at least two cases (with two different customers) a lot more exported words than the analysis had indicated.
The problem with those 100% matches really is, that it does not mean that the match from the TM reallys fits into that context you are translating at the moment. At least when translating from German you very often have to decide, if the verb is infinitive or imperitive. "Kabel anschließen" in a capture has to be translated differently than "Kabel anschließen" in an order list. At least in the languages I know.
I always have a bad fealing when using translate to fuzzy, but what to do when the customer does not pay for 100% matches. Close your eyes and I'll kiss you, tomorrow I'll miss you!
Regards
Heinrich

Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all. Oct 16, 2006

So far Jerzy's suggestion works well for me.
Exactly what I needed.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
These are two quite different things Oct 16, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I use translate to fuzzy icon or the alt+*-shortcut. I wonder if Jerzy's Ctrl+alt+plus works differently?

When the document is pretranslated, the "translate to fuzzy" command (ALT+*) opens every segment and stops when it finds a fuzzy match.
The "save close open next no 100%" command skips pretranstalted segments from TM (100% match) and opens only the next fuzzy match. With long documents and a lot of pretranslated text this saves you much time.

When the relation between known segments and unknown (less than 100% match) is high (much old text but little new) you might export the unknowns to rtf and count, if you get the same result as in the analysis. I had in at least two cases (with two different customers) a lot more exported words than the analysis had indicated.

Never tried that, so I can´t tell you why.

The problem with those 100% matches really is, that it does not mean that the match from the TM reallys fits into that context you are translating at the moment. At least when translating from German you very often have to decide, if the verb is infinitive or imperitive. "Kabel anschließen" in a capture has to be translated differently than "Kabel anschließen" in an order list. At least in the languages I know.
I always have a bad fealing when using translate to fuzzy, but what to do when the customer does not pay for 100% matches. Close your eyes and I'll kiss you, tomorrow I'll miss you!
Regards
Heinrich

Well, it is not different, when translating from German into Polish. For example some expressions are written differently, when masculinum or femininum is meant.
Therefore you need to allow more 100% matches in your TM. In such cases - with the penalty for more 100% matches set - the automatic translation will always stop there and let you decide, which 100% match you chose.

Regards
Jerzy

mihaim
English to Romanian
+ ...
Really a lifesaver Dec 9, 2014

Thanks a million, Jerzy! I lost lots and lots of precious time hunting down 2000 words in a sea of 15.000 which were 100% matches using the darned "Translate to fuzzy" command and endlessly ignoring the spelling bugs that needn't any checking because the client didn't care about the 100% matches!

And I was having all sorts of dark ideas such as exporting everything into Studio 2014 (which I heard it has the bad habit of making a mess out of TagEditor tags)...

That was a lifesaver indeed, thanks a million!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to lock 100% match segments?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs