Mobile menu

Display of Trados SDL2006 Toolbar in OpenOffice
Thread poster: milan06
milan06
English to Italian
Oct 17, 2006

I have just installed the most recent version of Trados and of OpenOffice, which as I understand are compatible. The usual Trados toolbar that I used to have pinned on top in OfficeWord, however, doesn't show in the OpenOffice equivalent. How do I make it appear?

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 02:05
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
The news about the compatibility are greatly exaggerated Oct 17, 2006

... is probably how Mark Twain would formulate it.

I work with Trados 7.5 and am involved with what's coming out as OpenOffice 2.1, and there's absolutely no hearsay or hint that the two would cooperate in the near, mid or distant future.

Where do you have these news from?

Regards

Vito

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:05
English to French
+ ...
It is compatible, but... Oct 17, 2006

You can actually translate OOo files using Trados, but you would have to convert the file into TradosTag format. Since OO has a completely different code structure and is not driven by the same programming as Microsoft products, Trados is unable to handle OO files the same way as it would handle Word files.

However, if you convert your OO file into TradosTag format (you simply need to analyse the file using Workbench and possibly also pretranslate it), you will be able to translate the file using TagEditor. Many people consider that this is a rather unpractical way of translating documents as you don't get the same WYSIWYG feel as you would when translating directly in Word - but I think they are simply too quick to judge. I indeed use TagEditor even for simple Word files (it's feasible since version 7.0). Trados used to market the product by saying that things appear exaclty as they will in the end when working within Word, but this is untrue, especially when working with documents containing tables - the contents of cells are overflowing outside the limits of the cell and you can't see what you are typing. This problem is easily avoided by converting the document into TradosTag format and translating it using TagEditor. In such a setting, it is best to keep a copy of the Word or OO document open at the same time so you can see the text in context. This is extremely handy for formatting conservation purposes. Once the translation is done, you simply need to save it as Word/OO and proof it to make sure all is right and make any necessary changes. This approach is so stable compared to the traditional method that you practically don't have anything to edit once the document is converted into the original format.

Not only is this the solution to work with OO and Trados but it's also a great way for handling Word files - try it!

All the best!

Note to Vito: this information was in the manual for Trados 7.0 and they also used it in all their marketing documentation as well as on the website. I am not sure if they emphasize on this as well for version 7.5 as I have not read the documentation since the software didn't change that much since the version before. I understand if you didn't read through the stuff - I seldom do as I find they document the software a little to much and this can even be misleading sometimes. But one thorough read can teach you stuff you didn't know about Trados - which can help you use the software more efficiently.

[Edited at 2006-10-17 17:22]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I'll expand a little Oct 17, 2006

Note to Vito: this information was in the manual for Trados 7.0 and they also used it in all their marketing documentation as well as on the website.

I am just at 92% of a 40.000 words help file for OpenOffice and I would DEARly welcome the possibility of a more direct integration. By the way I have bought TRADOS years ago already so I dont read TRADOS' marketing material - maybe I should ... Very probably they've been beating on the Open Document drum, making people think it is possible to use TRADOS in OpenOffice the same way as in Word.

Every minute a sucker is born...

Your suggestion to use TagEditor is of course the most sensible solution. A new user, however, has a relatively big barrier to cross - or tunnel through (g) - and giving the false hope of using Word in OpenSource disguise for sure did not hurt sales...

Back to my translation: OpenSource fraternity uses the so-called OpenText paradigm for bilingual material

msgid "string in source"
msgstr "string in target"

which is basically one translation unit in disguise. Sprinkle it thoroughly with tags (it's help files) and you end up with something like this:

msgid "\\<link href=\\\"text/sbasic/shared/00000002.xhp\\\" name=\\\"[officename] Basic Glossary\\\"\\<$[officename] Basic Glossary\\</link\\>"
msgstr "\\<link href=\\\"text/sbasic/shared/00000002.xhp\\\" name=\\\"Osnovni slovarček $[officename\\\"\\>Osnovni slovarček $[officename\\</link\\>"

To get this into a TM is a major undertaking... Whoever intends to this at his or her home, call me first (g).

Regards and sorry for getting off-track.

smo

PS: there's a move in OpenSource domain to switch from OpenText to XLIFF, which would indeed bring TRADOS (and the rest of the gang) much closer to that market.

[Edited at 2006-10-17 21:28]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:05
English to French
+ ...
Marketing did sound like they promised seemless integration Oct 18, 2006

That is indeed very close to a lie. I totally hear you, Vito, and you have a point.

If someone would like to work on an OO document, however, that is still feasible - there just won't be a Trados toolbar in OO. I remember shaking from fear the first time I was about to attempt a conversion into TradosTag - soon I had a good laugh at how I was scared of nothing... It is fairly easy and simple.

But shame on SDL for the false advertisement - I hope not too many people found out in shock that the thing they bought the software for is precisely what it just won't do...

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Open Office support was a bit confusing Oct 18, 2006

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

That is indeed very close to a lie. I totally hear you, Vito, and you have a point.

Yeah, it's a very strange marketing promotion:

From Trados website:

http://www.translationzone.com/news.asp?ID=35

The creation of new, high-quality translated material has never been easier. SDL Trados 2006 offers the best of both worlds, with the choice of Translators Workbench (within MS Word and OpenOffice), Tag Editor and SDLX editing environments.

I guess some one drafting this press release must have misunderstood something because the documention clearly states that OpenOffice is only supported through TagEditor.

Daniel

Zita Petrán
German to Hungarian
Translating doc vs. odt with TagEditor Oct 25, 2006

Hi all!

Recently I translated a document, whose header and footer was handled by the MS-Word in the translated version as errors, so I tryed to install OOo, in order to see, how I can bear with the thing. In both cases I tested the possibilities of translating with TagEditor (7.5): at first I translated the doc-file, which I've converted later into an odt-file.

The first impression: The segments are splitted in the odt-case with more sense, as in the case of a doc, where you can always meet segments within
-tags, even if there are two sentences.

The second impression: the translated file cannot be opened with OOo, because of a formatting-failure in one line of the content.xml.

Although TagEditor viewer could open a fragment of the translated file, the loading stopped without any explanation (the passage "Contents" could have been loaded seemingly without errors, and the next 2-3 pages, too).

The ground experience (for me) was, that in the case of the odt-file neither header nor footer were translated, they even weren't offered by TagEditor as textual parts to translate. --> So exactly my main aim wasn't fulfilled by OOo, which was very disappointing.

Note to Vito: I haven't really understood, why you're bothered with the question of the tags appearing in the TM
In my opinion, if you have a group of words with a doc-tag
dürfen wir u.a. folgende Firmen zählen:
it can be saved in the TM almost in the same way as the same word-group with odt-tags
dürfen wir u.a. folgende Firmen zählen:
Or wasn't it exactly your query?

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Why reverse conversion of ODT failed Oct 25, 2006

PetranZita wrote:

(...)
The second impression: the translated file cannot be opened with OOo, because of a formatting-failure in one line of the content.xml.

It was perhaps because TagEditor introduced a bug in the content.xml file. One character which does not conform with the XML specification can be a showstopper.

(...)
The ground experience (for me) was, that in the case of the odt-file neither header nor footer were translated, they even weren't offered by TagEditor as textual parts to translate. --> So exactly my main aim wasn't fulfilled by OOo, which was very disappointing.

That was perhaps because TagEditor extracted only the content.xml file. Heartsome XLIFF Editor is much better at it. As far as I know it extracts all translatable content from all xml files that make up the ODT file.

Also, I find TagEditor to be rather slow when working with ODT files.

Regards,

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Display of Trados SDL2006 Toolbar in OpenOffice

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs