Thread poster: Kirill Semenov

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 02:19
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 20, 2006

I have a TM which I will use for a project in normal mode (read and write). Also, I have an additional TM which I would like to use as a reference, but without changing it (in read-only mode).

Is there a way to use such an additional TM with Translator's Workbench? Other CAT tools (e. g. Deja Vu) allow to add additional TMs to a project and specify read-only, write-only or read/write modes when using the TMs. Is it anyhow possible with SDL Trados?

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:19
Italian to English
Yes you can Oct 20, 2006

Kirill Semenov wrote:

I have a TM which I will use for a project in normal mode (read and write). Also, I have an additional TM which I would like to use as a reference, but without changing it (in read-only mode).

Is there a way to use such an additional TM with Translator's Workbench? Other CAT tools (e. g. Deja Vu) allow to add additional TMs to a project and specify read-only, write-only or read/write modes when using the TMs. Is it anyhow possible with SDL Trados?

Hi Kirill,

You can do this in WB version 7.

Go to "Tools\Translation Memory Options" and click the Concordance tab. You'll see the option that lets you browse to a read-only TM.

HTH

Giles

[Edited at 2006-10-20 16:49]

Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did - nothing found :( Oct 20, 2006

Giles Watson wrote:
Go to "Tools\Translation Memory Options" and click the Concordance tab. You'll see the option that lets you browse to a read-only TM.

Thank you, Giles, but I failed to find anything at the tab. I can't find any field to add an auxilliary TM, sorry. Can you please specify where to find it?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:19
English to German
+ ...
Background TM Oct 20, 2006

Hi Kirill,
The Concordance tab (Options - Translation Memory Options - Concordance) has a dialogue field where you can specify a Reference (read-only) translation memory.

Please check the Help function for search restrictions using this function.

HTH, Ralf

Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found it! Oct 21, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:
The Concordance tab (Options - Translation Memory Options - Concordance) has a dialogue field where you can specify a Reference (read-only) translation memory.

Aha, now I see it - many thanks!

Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another question: how the analysis works when I use a reference TM? Oct 21, 2006

I've added this reference TM, thank you, Giles and Ralf.

Another question is the following:

Sometimes my client wants me to analyze new jobs with my TM only, and sometimes they want me to use both TMs to analyze a new project.

Imagine that I have a main TM and a reference TM attached, what happens when I analyze new files? Is the reference TMs included into the analysis? Or only the main TM?

Sorry for my silly questions, but I usually use DVX, and everything is much simpler with it, but in this case I have to use Trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using an additional TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs