Mobile menu

Annoying Trados Formating Problem
Thread poster: Yaron Dahan
Yaron Dahan
Local time: 11:51
French to English
+ ...
Oct 21, 2006

I have a little problem with TRADOS, that I'm sure is somehow solveable, but I can't figure it out. When I translate a segment that has Italics in it (which in this case is every segment), when I close set/get.. the rest of the segment from the point of the Italics onward changes into Italics, even though I changed it back into normal text while I was typing.

This, as you can imagine is really annoying because it means I have to review the document twice more to check the Italics=more work=less fun.

Any Ideas??

[Edited at 2006-10-21 08:42]

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:51
English to French
+ ...
Looks like a symptom I had before Oct 22, 2006

If you are working directly in Word, I suggest you try either working in TagEditor instead (use the memory you have compiled so far) or check the document for formatting issues.

When I had similar problems, it was systematically with Word files taken from other document types that were dealt with using OCR software. As you probably know, OCR software has a tendnecy to add lots of formatting in vain (read: formatting with the sole purpose to mess up your document). This overzealous formatting might be causing you a headache.

If you are working on a document that was converted from PDF, try AutoUnbreak (look it up in Google - easy to install, learning curve next to none). It should put some of the formatting back in order.

As for a clear explanation of this - well, so far, nobody has been able to provide any clues on the topic. I hope at least I gave you some ideas.

All the best!

Yaron Dahan
Local time: 11:51
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 22, 2006

Thanks for the advice. I will try to work in TagEditor on the next file I get. You're right that word has this horrible penchant for over-formating everything... the problem really only happened when I did a cut and paste (i.e. for proper names in Italics). Maybe there's a better way other than cut and paste.

I'm still relatively new to Trados..and well, lets just say its taking me more time rather than less, for the moment.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:51
English to French
+ ...
Time-saver Oct 22, 2006

If you want to be able to use TagEditor on the current file you are working on, you can do so without too much worrying.

Here's what you would need to do:

Open Trados Workbench and open the memory you've been using so far for the translation of this file. Go to Tools - Analyse. Navigate to the source file you are working on (not the one that's already half translated). Analyse the file. Once that's done, go to Tools - Translate. This will translate all segments that already have matching units in the memory (that is, all the sentences you have already translated) and this will also create a TradosTag file, which is what you will be working in to produce the final translation.

Now, all you have to do is open TagEditor and open your TradosTag file (you will find it in the directory where your original source file was, unless you changed this manually). You will most likely have only translated sentences at the beginning. Check if their formatting is OK. When you get to the part that's not translated yet, simply copy source to target and enter the translation between the tags without touching anything else. The formatting should then match the original.

Good luck!

P.S.: I recommend you read up a little on TagEditor's functions/interface (PDF manual that came with it) just to make sure you know where you are going. It's very easy, but when you first use it, it can also look quite scary - whereas there's no reason to be scared of it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annoying Trados Formating Problem

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs