Mobile menu

Creating multiple termbases with Multiterm
Thread poster: hugov
English to French
Oct 23, 2006

I recently created a message asking whether a translator should use one or many translation memories (

Now this question is resolved I am wondering the same thing about Multiterm. I suppose I should have different termbases for every client, but I would also like to have a separate main termbase I would use at the same time. Is it possible to do that? How? Can I find a topic on this forum on the matter (I found none)?

I found this on Trados site:

"Seven Highlights of TRADOS 7

Use of multiple termbases in active terminology recognition. When used with TRADOS MultiTerm 7 Term Desktop, Translator's Workbench can now search multiple termbases and display recognized terms."

I do have Trados 7, but I don't have Multiterm 7 (I have version ix). Does it really means there is no way at all of using more than one termbase at the same time?

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:10
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Use MultiTerm 7 Oct 23, 2006

As you mention, MT 7 allows you to have multiple termbases open at the same time. So that encourages you to have several separate termbases. That is what I do. I have some for individual customers, some for more general topics, and a miscellaneous one into which I add new words while translating.

AFAIK, Trados 7 includes MT7 at no extra cost. Why not upgrade?

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:10
English to Spanish
MT7 and Trados in a bundle Oct 24, 2006

I have recently seen the ads for this offer in the SDL website, but I assume this offer (Trados 7 + Multiterm + SDLX) only applies for those who buy or have bought Trados 7 fairly recently. Not all of us who have Trados 7 have MT, unfortunately.

Guys, given what the cost of Multiterm was on its own, if you have to buy Trados, it might be very interesting to do it now.

[Edited at 2006-10-24 17:23]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating multiple termbases with Multiterm

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs