Oct 23, 2006

Try and translate this:

Intel AMD processor 2000 MHz
1024 MB of total RAM
32-bit video (millions of colors)

When I do it.
First line get segmented in "Intel"+"AMD processor 2000 MHz "
Second line get segmented in "1024 MB of total "+"RAM"
Third line - whole line segmented (correct).

Why does it break up the first two lines ?

Direct link Reply with quote
Emmanuelle Baeumler
Local time: 03:54
Spanish to French
+ ...
I don't have the same segmentation Oct 24, 2006

If I copy your text into a word doc, I only have one segment for the whole paragraph.

If I copy the frame and save as text, I have 3 segments, one per line.

In order to make us understand, you should check in word: menu tools/options and choose ALL marks, so you can see how your text if formatted.
Then, somebody here could help you.

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:54
English to Spanish
what kind of file are you translating? Oct 24, 2006

Instead of copying, I wrote the three sentences in the same way in an empty Word file and it is fine: one segment per sentence.

Have you checked the hidden text? If you are in Word, press the Paragraph mark symbol at the top of your screen to see that and choose "all" in the Formating Marks section of Tools>Options.

There are lost of forums on problems with files that have been converted or extracted and different solutions offered. Do you know the source file? What is the extension of your file?

If it has been extracted from PageMaker (for example) I believe you should translate in TagEditor, not from Word.

I hope it helps.

[Edited at 2006-10-24 16:12]

Vito Smolej
Local time: 03:54
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
you have tabs in those places... Oct 25, 2006

and the tabulator as a segmentation character.

Turn on the big P in Word to see non-printables/formatting characters - i.e. tabs. And check TWB/File/Setup/segmentation rules for the segmentation setup - there'll a Tab in the listbox, additinal to End of Paragraph etc.

If this is not the case, your system must have ghosts (tra-trolls?) visiting (g)...

[Edited at 2006-10-25 09:46]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange segmentation

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs