Trados 7 exporting help
Thread poster: Agua

Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 25, 2006

Hello,

Sorry to bother you guys... I have Trados 6.5 and I have to do a project for tomorrow morning... They sent me a TM in Trados 7.0, which I obviously can not access (they usually sent .txt exports).

Would anybody give me a hand exporting the memory to .txt, please?

Any help is appreciated.

Ah! Does anybody know if downloading the trial version of SDLX/Trados 2006 would be of help (i.e., would I be able to export/import the TM), without messing up the programme I currently have, Trados 6.5?

Thank you.

Best,

Mar

[Edited at 2006-10-25 20:07]

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 01:25
German
+ ...
Find someone with Trados 7 to help you Oct 25, 2006

Short and sweet: There's no way you can help yourself in this situation - you need someone with Trados 7 to prepare the export file for you.

Either you find someone here at ProZ.com (I'd do it but I'm not in the office anymore, it's 10:30 pm already) or ask the SDL Trados company very nicely if they'd be willing to help you out of a tight spot.

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: No, the trial version won't be of help unless the TM has less than 100 TUs (in which case it would be just about useless anyway).

[Edited at 2006-10-25 20:32]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would but Oct 25, 2006

I do have only freelance, which limits me to five languages ... and I do not have your pair installed.

What you need is a colleague in your language pair with Trados 7 or someone with a LSP version of Trados (since there is no limit on language pairs). Sorry

Regards
Jerzy

Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Oct 25, 2006

Hello again,

--> Short and sweet: There's no way you can help yourself in this situation - you need someone with Trados 7 to prepare the export file for you.

That is what I thought... Well, if there is anybody who has it I would appreciate the help... Otherwise I will just have to do without the memory.

Thank you very much.

Best,

Mar

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:25
English to French
+ ...
I have 7.5 Oct 26, 2006

Sorry to read about your problem.

If it's not too late, I can help.

Let me just give advice to the community here on saving TMs. Since we all don't work with the same version of CATs, the best thing to do is to always save your TMs in an earlier format. I always save my TMs in 6.0 format, even if I have 7.5. This ensures that such problems as this never happen, since most agencies have 6.0 or later, and nowadays, translators who have 5.5 have become a rarity.

Also, it is always a good idea to save TMs in .txt format rather than in .tmx format. This, once again, obviously eliminates such problems from occurring.

All the best!

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
why dont you ask the agent to export it in 6.5 form? Oct 26, 2006

should not be a problem - or is it (g)?

smo

Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, problem solved :-)). Oct 26, 2006

Hello again,

Thank you very much for your ideas. As I said, I usually receive exported TMs, so the version of Trados would not have been a problem.

However, I do not know the reason, I received it in Trados 7.0 and office hours had passed when I started working on the project (that is why I could not contact the agent for exporting).

Thank you also to the Canadian translator who helped me exporting it (I do not know if I can mention names, I have not contacted her), it was really kind.

Thank you again.

Best,

Mar

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Trados 7 exporting help Oct 26, 2006

Nice, you were able to solve your exporting problem. No way without Trados 7.

TMX is the standard format for Translation Memory eXchange. Translation services providers should habit to use only standard formats like TMX, TBX or XLIFF. Proprietary formats only bring all kind of problems and bothering.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7 exporting help

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs