Mobile menu

Importing Wordfast memory into TRADOS
Thread poster: roak
United States
German to English
Oct 27, 2006

I received a memory which is a text file obtained after translation in Wordfast. At my end, I wanted to import this memory into my TRADOS memory (FREELANCE version 7) but that just does not work.

The error number 50028 "memory file is invalid (no header found)" is displayed by Workbench.
How does one resolve this issue??

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:09
English to French
+ ...
TMX as an exchange format Oct 27, 2006

The Wordfast TM must be exported in TMX (1.4) format first. Then, create a new TM in Trados, and import the TMX memory.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-10-27 04:22]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Wordfast TM is straight tab-delimited Oct 27, 2006

roak wrote:
At my end, I wanted to import [the Wordfast] memory into my TRADOS memory but that just does not work.

Open the Wordfast memory in Excel (set all cells to "text" first, else Excel might try to calculate cells that start with a number). Grab the source column and target column, paste them into two text files, and do an alignment in Trados. If the Trados aligner is any good (don't know if it is), this operation should be painless.

Minor quirks may occur.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:09
Finnish to French
You can use Olifant Oct 28, 2006

Use Olifant ( to open the Wordfast TM and save it in Trados TXT format, which you should be able to open in Workbench.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing Wordfast memory into TRADOS

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs