Thread poster: BAmary (X)
BAmary (X)
BAmary (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 31, 2006

I created a TM memory some time ago and I used it without any problems. I tried to open it back today and I get this message: The system cannot find the file specified. [Drive:Path\File name] (error 2)

The Help says I must have 5 files related to that TM. I have all 5 files (with the right extensions listed in the Help topic) but the TM still doesn't open.

The version of Trados I'm using is: Trados 6.5 freelance.

Thanks in advance!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you open the TM via Workbench menu or by double click? Oct 31, 2006

Double clicking does not work for TMs.

Otherwise maybe the folder where the TM is saved is somehow protected?
Do you have all rights to access this folder?

Little puzzled, as something like that did never happened to me.

Regards
Jerzy

BAmary (X)
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same way as I always have Oct 31, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

Here is the way I always open my TMs: I open Workbench, I click on File, then on Open and I get a box with all my TMs. I select the one I want and click Open. But this time I'm getting the message.

After posting my message I remembered something that can be the cause of the problem: when I first used this TM, I couldn't clean the document. It was telling me that the Word file was corrupted, so I had to clean the document by hand, segment by segment. Do you thi
... See more
Hi Jerzy,

Here is the way I always open my TMs: I open Workbench, I click on File, then on Open and I get a box with all my TMs. I select the one I want and click Open. But this time I'm getting the message.

After posting my message I remembered something that can be the cause of the problem: when I first used this TM, I couldn't clean the document. It was telling me that the Word file was corrupted, so I had to clean the document by hand, segment by segment. Do you think this might be it?

Thanks for answering!

Regards,

Maria O. Takacs
Collapse

dimitroula (X)
dimitroula (X)

Local time: 01:49
Are you working on a network? Oct 31, 2006

I saw this problem when the memory is on a network location and not opened exclusively. Try to open from the menu and tick the exclusive box.

Mafalda d'Orey de Faria
Mafalda d'Orey de Faria  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
similar problem Oct 31, 2006

Hi Jerzy,
I have a similar problem with a document I want to clean up. After clocing the document, adding it to the Clean up window, alfway through I get the message that it cannot convert the document due to a OLE/COM or file name error. It happens that while trying to convert the document, the documents opens up with a different name.

What should I do?

Mafalda d'Orey de Faria
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Cleaning up problem Oct 31, 2006

It 's me again.
I forgot to tell that I have just upgraded from Trados6.5 to Trados7 and it is the first time I am using it since then. Also, during the translation process, from time to time there is a message saying that there is not enough memory on Word! The document I am working in is not that large, about 50 pages, although there are some pictures.

Thanks in advance for your help

Mafalda

BAmary (X)
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I had the same problem before Oct 31, 2006

I was getting that same error message with this TM before. I guess that's why I can't open it now...

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The cleanup process has (should have) no impact on opening the TM Oct 31, 2006

As for the cleanup - this is nothing strange, it happens with badly formatted or heavily graphics-loaded Word files.
To do the cleanup Trados (Workbench) saves the document as RTF, and it can grow! Sometimes the size of rtf reaches several HUNDRED MB! No wonder, that errors occure.
Use a different way for cleanup.
Save a billingual copy of your document, which is for cleanup.
Save another billingual copy of your document as rtf. If you get problems when saving as rtf, rem
... See more
As for the cleanup - this is nothing strange, it happens with badly formatted or heavily graphics-loaded Word files.
To do the cleanup Trados (Workbench) saves the document as RTF, and it can grow! Sometimes the size of rtf reaches several HUNDRED MB! No wonder, that errors occure.
Use a different way for cleanup.
Save a billingual copy of your document, which is for cleanup.
Save another billingual copy of your document as rtf. If you get problems when saving as rtf, remove images and try again.
Now open the first copy of the document in Word, press ALT+F8. In the "Name" line put "tw4" Select the "tw4clean.main" macro and let it run. If you are using Trados 7 or above, you are ready. For older versions of Trados you also need to open al headers and footers and repeat the procedure for each of them. You also need to locate text-boxes (if any) and possibly repeat the procedure for each of them too.
Warning! This procedure does not update your TM! This is what the rtf is for. Take the rtf file and run a "normal" cleanup with Workbench. As the file is already saved as rtf, no conversion is needed and the cleanup should function.

The main problem here with opening the TM however still remains unsolved - and I´m sorry, but I don´t have any better hints for you. Maybe you could try to copy the TM files to another PC and try to open it there.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

BAmary (X)
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Snif! Oct 31, 2006

Jerzy,

It's ok. Don't worry and thanks anyway!

I created a new TM and, because many sentences are almost the same, I'm just copying from the previously translated document. I don't know if the clean-up will work this time, since it's even bigger than the other one... But I think this is the last manual I translate on this subject, so I really don't care that much if I lose this second TM, although it would've been great to have the previous one for this translation! ... See more
Jerzy,

It's ok. Don't worry and thanks anyway!

I created a new TM and, because many sentences are almost the same, I'm just copying from the previously translated document. I don't know if the clean-up will work this time, since it's even bigger than the other one... But I think this is the last manual I translate on this subject, so I really don't care that much if I lose this second TM, although it would've been great to have the previous one for this translation!

Thanks again for your help!
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I got used to the following procedure Oct 31, 2006

I create an image- and picture-free file (after all, I translate texts, and not pictures). This makes for much smaller and much slower growing RTFs.

Once the working RTF is completed, my TM has also all the segments of the original file. I let the machine pretranslate (chuga chuga chuga ....) - and clean (chuga chuga chuga .... again) but the bottom line is, when I am working with my brain on, I dont have to pick my nose between segments.

That does not
... See more
I create an image- and picture-free file (after all, I translate texts, and not pictures). This makes for much smaller and much slower growing RTFs.

Once the working RTF is completed, my TM has also all the segments of the original file. I let the machine pretranslate (chuga chuga chuga ....) - and clean (chuga chuga chuga .... again) but the bottom line is, when I am working with my brain on, I dont have to pick my nose between segments.

That does not solve the problems like word asking for more memory etc. It just makes them less frequent.

Regards

smo

[Edited at 2006-10-31 21:20]
Collapse

Mafalda d'Orey de Faria
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Cleaning up process Oct 31, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

Thank you a lot, it just worked wonderfully!

By the way, if I have to remove images, how do I put them back in the translated doc?
Sorry for so many questions, but you are a great help.

Thanks in advance.
Mafalda

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Don´t remove images from the file you´ll cleanup with the macro Oct 31, 2006

this is not necessary.
The cleanup with the Word macro will work with tons of images too.

Best
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open TM

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »