https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/58960-undoing_clean_up_in_trados_7.html

Undoing clean-up in Trados 7?
Thread poster: Caro Maucher
Caro Maucher
Caro Maucher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:28
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 3, 2006

I seem to accidentally have cleaned up my bilingual translation file, as well as the copy I made for cleaning up... at any rate I only have two cleaned-up files now, but my client will be wanting the bilingual file. Is there any way of resurrecting my bilingual file, short of re-translating the entire document?

I'm using Trados 7.5.0.756.

Thanks a lot!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you did´t change the default settings... Nov 3, 2006

then in the same directory, where you have the cleaned files must be another file with the same name, but an ending "bak". This is your billingual file.
If you do not find it, check the setting in Tools, Translation Memory Options, Extras - if you have accidentally checked "Move backup to" and look for the possible location.

Regards
Jerzy

Caro Maucher
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
'Keep backup' was deselected Nov 3, 2006

Thanks Jerzy, but I'm afraid there is no backup file. I checked where you said, and the Keep Backup option was deselected (WHO DID THAT??!!).

Any further ideas would be very much appreciated!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I´m afraid you did yourself no favour Nov 3, 2006

Any recent backups?
If not, than use the function "Translate" in Workbench.
Should not everything be translated, open the file in the corresponding editor and press CTRL+ALT+HOME. This will open the first untranslated segment. Then move ahead in the file using CTRL+ALT+(NUM+) - this causes Trados to skip everything already translated and open the next untranslated segment.

Regards
Jerzy

Caro Maucher
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation it shall be, then. Nov 3, 2006

I've reselected that backup option and I swear it shall never be touched again.
I'll do it by re-translating then. Luckily I think there weren't too many segments in this text which will need to be re-edited. Sigh.

Thanks a lot, Jerzy, and have a nice day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Undoing clean-up in Trados 7?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »