William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:48
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Nov 6, 2006

I've got a crazy problem with TE, baffling

Its a bit hard to explain so bear with me

Client sends me a excel file, I open it in TM then find out after doing one or two segments that a lot of it is in Gallego, not Spanish

I delete it and the corresponding ttx file

Client promises to rectify problem and send me a new, all Spanish version, which they do. Open in excel to check and no problem. Its all in Spanish, and a few other minor changes have been made too

However, when I open it in Tag Editor, its the original, half in Gallego version. I've tried changing file names, saving onto a USB stick (under a new name) and working on a different computer, but no joy, its keeps opening up the "old" version

Any ideas???

BTW, I'm using Trados 7 and Office 200 on one PC and Office xp on the other

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Hidden cells? Nov 6, 2006

Maybe the document still contains the old text and it's hidden in Excel, but visible in Tag Editor? Try to search for the Spanish text that is visible in Excel - is it there?

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Not Hidden Nov 13, 2006

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Maybe the document still contains the old text and it's hidden in Excel, but visible in Tag Editor? Try to search for the Spanish text that is visible in Excel - is it there?

That would be disastrous - we often use the Hide Rows/Columns function to keep text out of tagEditor that does not need translation, yet needs to stay right where it is in the Excel file.

My guess is that the .xls file contains multiple worksheets, one of which was left in the original version and one that contains the updated text for translation.

If that is the case, you can either delete the "old" worksheet or just hide it (which might lead to performance problems, though - depending on the amount of data contained within it.) After that, just re-open the file in TagEditor and work on it as usual.

Let us know if this worked for you.

HTH,
Benjamin

William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Nov 13, 2006

[quote]tectranslate wrote:

Hynek Palatin wrote:

My guess is that the .xls file contains multiple worksheets, one of which was left in the original version and one that contains the updated text for translation.

If that is the case, you can either delete the "old" worksheet

Thats exactly what the problem was, and exactly what I did! Took me ages to suss it out tho!

Many thanks to all

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Crazy Tag Editor problem, saving an "old version" of a file

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs