https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/59296-trados_7%3A_problem_in_expand_shrink_segment.html

Trados 7: problem in "expand/shrink segment"
Thread poster: Simona Casadei
Simona Casadei
Simona Casadei
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:08
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 8, 2006

Dear colleagues,
I've just started to learn how to use Trados (7), and I'm doing small translations to practice the various commands. Yesterday I tried to use the "Expand/Shrink segments" and I got stuck with it...It doesn't work!
As I try to click the command or to press ALT+CTRL+page down (or up) TWB gives the following message: "cannot resize the segment".
I went to File>Setup>Segment rules but it didn't work!

Any good suggestion?

Thank you in adva
... See more
Dear colleagues,
I've just started to learn how to use Trados (7), and I'm doing small translations to practice the various commands. Yesterday I tried to use the "Expand/Shrink segments" and I got stuck with it...It doesn't work!
As I try to click the command or to press ALT+CTRL+page down (or up) TWB gives the following message: "cannot resize the segment".
I went to File>Setup>Segment rules but it didn't work!

Any good suggestion?

Thank you in advance and have a nice day!:)
Simona
Collapse

Heike Steffens
Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:08
Italian to German
+ ...
Format Nov 8, 2006

Ciao Simona,

if the format does not allow to expand/shrink the segment (for example a hard return that separates two segments of a sentence), then you cannot use this function.

In the above case you could try to replace the hard return by a soft return (SHIFT + RETURN).

Good luck
Heike

Simona Casadei
Simona Casadei
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:08
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 8, 2006

Thank you very much Heike!
I'll try with your suggestion during the afternoon!

Have a nice day,
Simona

Vladimir Morozov
Vladimir Morozov
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:08
English to Russian
+ ...
Cut and paste Nov 8, 2006

Hi Simona,

Alternatively, you can just cut and paste the required part of the text from beneath the target segment into your source segment.

Voila!

Vladimir

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7: problem in "expand/shrink segment"

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »