Thread poster: Monika Hamernikova
Monika Hamernikova
Czech Republic
Local time: 06:01
English to Czech
+ ...
Nov 13, 2006

Hi folks,
I wonder how can I change either source or target language in TagEditor. In this case a customer of mine wants me to translate into two languages and I would like to use the already translated text into one language for translation of the other because these two target languages are very similar. I don't want to use the "Reference memory" tool in this case, I just want simply modify the translation directly in TagEditor, however, with different target. When start running the TM and TagEditor, it says: "The open translation memory has different languages than the document. Interaction with Translator's Workbench will be disabled until a matching translation memory is opened."
Thank you
Monika

Direct link Reply with quote

Katarzyna Kołakowska  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
German to Polish
+ ...
Default source language Nov 13, 2006

Hi Monika,

I am not 100% sure, if this is the right solution, but if you choose menu Tools, Options, then you see a dialog with several tabs, pls choose General, there you have an option named Default source language with an combo box. You can choose your desired language. Probably it helps.

Monika Hamernikova
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I need to change the target language Nov 13, 2006

kjan wrote:

Hi Monika,

I am not 100% sure, if this is the right solution, but if you choose menu Tools, Options, then you see a dialog with several tabs, pls choose General, there you have an option named Default source language with an combo box. You can choose your desired language. Probably it helps.

Hi kjan,
thank you for your response but in this case it does not work because I need to change the target language:(
Monika

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Changing language Nov 13, 2006

You need to export the TM into a text file, change the language (manually or using Olifant, for example) and import into a new TM.

[Edited at 2006-11-13 13:30]

Nicolas Coyer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 00:01
Spanish to French
+ ...
to complement Hynek's message Nov 13, 2006

This is done when you create the TM. Once it is created, I don't think there is a way to change it from "inside".
Here is a sample segment from an export file:

TrU
CrD [DATE], [TIME]
CrU [AUTHOR]
Txt L=Text Field>xxxxxxx
Seg L=EN-US>Software
Seg L=FR-FR>Logiciel
/TrU

You need to know the code TRADOS uses for your source/target language (in my case, the source is EN-US for US English and the target is FR-FR for France French).
Then, you can perform a batch search and replace on your export file.
When you create the new TM to import the modified export file, don't forget to specifiy the new language in the Create TM wizard (I think it is the second or third screen). It is easy to get past it without noticing since creating a TM becomes such a routine task somtimes, and, most often than not, you always use the same languages.

Note: I removed the brackets; oterwise, the tags content was not displayed on this page.

[Edited at 2006-11-13 17:52]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing language in TagEditor - Trados 2006

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs