How to translate a TMX 1.1 file in TagEditor 7
Thread poster: Marek Gawrysiak

Marek Gawrysiak  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:58
English to Polish
Nov 17, 2006

Hi,
Does anyone have any experience with translating TMX 1.1 in TagEditor? We used ini settings from tmx11.dtd - no good.We need to open and translate a number of TMX files using TagEditor. The files contain source and target with full and partial matches. I would very much appreciate any hints you may have. Thank you! Marek

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Confused? Nov 17, 2006

Hi!

Thre must be some confusion here. TMX is normally a type of memory export format, and not something that you translate.

You can import the TMX into yout Trados memory, but it's not the material that you actually work on.

/Jan

[Edited at 2006-11-17 10:25]

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
xml or tmx Nov 17, 2006

Marek Gawrysiak wrote:
... translating TMX 1.1 in TagEditor? We used ini settings...

TMX is a TM file to be imported (you may need a level 2 version).
Your ini might work on an xml not a tmx.
Have another look.

English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
yes, TMX was saved as XML before opening Nov 17, 2006

thanks for your reply! you are right... first thing I changed the file extension to xml. TagEditor recognized the tags but failed to open source and target in one segment. That's the problem I am deadling with. Any hints greatly appreciated. Cheers, Marek

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
But then you are mixing things up, I´m afraid Nov 17, 2006

As my colleagues already said, TMX is a TRanslation Memory Interchange format - thus not a translatable file!

Are you sure you want to translate a TMX file? Or is this file (are those files) only export from the Translation Memory to be used to translate a specified file(s)?

If you need to translate xml files and don´t have the proper ini file, create one yourself. The proces is detailed described in File Format Reference Guide, which you can download from www.translationzone.com (look in the Download section for documentation).

Best regards
Jerzy

Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Don't Nov 17, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
If you need to translate xml files and don´t have the proper ini file, create one yourself.

Don't. The client should provide these. They're essential to the xml file itself, not only to TagEditor.

English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
TMX comes from external system Nov 17, 2006

Thre must be some confusion here.

[Edited at 2006-11-17 10:25]

Hi! Thank you for pointing it out. However, the file I need to translate was exported from a pretranslating TM system, so the file now contains both full matches and partial matches. The system exported it using the TMX 1.1 standard. As a result, I got a TMX file which looks like a TM, as it already contains bilingual data, but needs to function as a pre-translated file for further translation. I hope that clarifies the issue. Many thanks for your help. Marek

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why and what when the customer does not provide them? Nov 17, 2006

saitch wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
If you need to translate xml files and don´t have the proper ini file, create one yourself.

Don't. The client should provide these. They're essential to the xml file itself, not only to TagEditor.

What you create, are settings for the particular xml file, not for Tageditor. So I do not understand your refusal to do so. Surely, when the customer provides the settings, than everything is fine, but what when not?

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-11-17 11:17]

Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
jumble Nov 17, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
...what when not?

Then he doesn't have a file.
It's not a job, it's a jumble.
I do indeed throw these things out.

Dabbling in outsourcing is easy enough as it is.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate a TMX 1.1 file in TagEditor 7

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs