Thread poster: xxxFGHI
xxxFGHI  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:56
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Nov 23, 2006

Hi,
I need your help with .mdb files!

I received this file from a colleague and I should be able to open it with Multiterm, but I always get an error message. What should I do? Please help me!
Thank you!
FGHI

Direct link Reply with quote

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Deja Vu 3 memory database? Nov 23, 2006

I know mdb as the memory database format (i.e. the TM format) for the old version of Deja Vu, which is generally referred to as DV3.
I now use DejaVu X (the newer incarnation of DV which has been in use for three or four years now). At the moment, I haven't even got DV3 installed on my computer.

Ask your colleague what program he/she produced the file with. If it is DV3 (as I assume), then he/she should be able to export the database into another format (perhaps even Trados or TMX format, or failing that, at least into Excel format).

If your colleague can't do this, perhaps someone on the forum can help you with this (i.e. someone who has still got DV3 installed). To make sure you reach the DV users, you could post a call for help on the DejaVu support forum at ProZ.

Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 23, 2006

Thank you!

Germany
German to English
+ ...
An after-thought ... Nov 23, 2006

DVX (the new version) has an import function for DV3 memory databases, and an export function which includes a Trados format.
So I could have a shot at it, although the process is very theoretical for me (i.e. it's years since I last imported a DV3 database, and I have hardly ever dealt with Trados format, and never worked in Trados with a Multiterm database). So the process may be more productive if someone who regularly uses DVX for Trados projects (and knows the potential pitfalls) could do it for you.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Termbase Nov 23, 2006

First, make sure you and your colleague use the same version of MultiTerm. Then open MultiTerm, go to Termbase - Load External Termbase and browse to the .mdb file.

MDB is a database in MS Access format, by the way.

Germany
German to English
+ ...
DV3 and Access Nov 23, 2006

Hynek, you're right about .mdb being the Microsoft Access extension.
However, DejaVu is based on Access, and DV3 used the same extension (which could easily cause confusion, so they changed it in DVX). And some translators still use DV3 (although it has been unsupported for three or four years now).
If the file is actually an Access database created without DV3, I am barking up the wrong tree and Hynek's method may work. Does Trados import Access files if Access is not installed on the computer? This may present a problem if FGHI does not have Access.
If it is a DV3 file (using the mdb extension), then it can be opened with Access, but it might be tricky to get the data into a meaningful form because of the way Access databases are split up into a number of different tables. And if FGHI changes the file withn Access, this may then make the file unworkable in DV3.

The best bet is still to ask the colleague what program he/she used to create the file.

Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 23, 2006

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with .mdb file

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs