Thread poster: david angel (X)
david angel (X)
david angel (X)
Local time: 04:59
French to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2006

Hi. I'm using Trados 7.5.
This afternoon, an agency sent me a TM for a job they asked me to do.
I placed the memory and the associated files with my other memories in the normal place, and opened it with Trados. However, the Concordance doesn't seem to search the relevant memory, and where I am sure there are repetitions, nothing comes up. It does however search my own TMs. This is the first time I have used an agency memory: is there something obvious I've failed to do? Many thanks
... See more
Hi. I'm using Trados 7.5.
This afternoon, an agency sent me a TM for a job they asked me to do.
I placed the memory and the associated files with my other memories in the normal place, and opened it with Trados. However, the Concordance doesn't seem to search the relevant memory, and where I am sure there are repetitions, nothing comes up. It does however search my own TMs. This is the first time I have used an agency memory: is there something obvious I've failed to do? Many thanks in advance.
Collapse

jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Local time: 05:59
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
imported the tm? Nov 24, 2006

hi david, I'm not sute what you mean by "normal place" you "placed" you memory at, but you haven't mentioned importing the TM nto the TranslatorsWorkbench. Could that be the reason?

igor

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:59
English to Russian
Did you open the agency TM? Nov 24, 2006

Hi David,

Probably you did not open the right TM. You really did not need to place the agency TM in the same folder as your own TM. Try to open it directly clicking on the tmw file wherever it is. I usually place them in the same folder as the text file. If it opens, but there are problems like error messages saying "Illegal index", or the Translator's Workbench crashes when you start translation, do the ollowing:
1. Open the agency TM without opening the text file
2. E
... See more
Hi David,

Probably you did not open the right TM. You really did not need to place the agency TM in the same folder as your own TM. Try to open it directly clicking on the tmw file wherever it is. I usually place them in the same folder as the text file. If it opens, but there are problems like error messages saying "Illegal index", or the Translator's Workbench crashes when you start translation, do the ollowing:
1. Open the agency TM without opening the text file
2. Export the TM into a tmx file
3.create a new TM in your folder exporting the text definition file from the agency file, and
4. Import the tmx file into the new memory

Check the memory option settings in Concordane paying attention to the reference TMs and the term recognition oprions which should be connected to a MT term base (either the one supplied by the agency or your own).

Best regards,

Alex
Collapse

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Nov 24, 2006

Thanks, Alexey. (Your English is impeccable.)

chinesetrans
chinesetrans
Netherlands
Local time: 05:59
English to Chinese
+ ...
It happened to me Nov 25, 2006

Hi,
This happened to me also. I did more than Alex suggested, but it did not work. Quite a sad story. I might try again. Anyway, I lost that job owing to that situation.

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everyone. Nov 25, 2006

Thanks, everyone. The problem is now solved. I think I must have tried to open the wrong memory. In addition, when I looked to see what the memory contained, there was very little! No wonder it wasn't finding any matches!

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:59
English to Russian
Why don't you use SDL Trados support pages Nov 25, 2006

chinesetrans wrote:

Hi,
This happened to me also. I did more than Alex suggested, but it did not work. Quite a sad story. I might try again. Anyway, I lost that job owing to that situation.

Sad story. But there may be too many reasons and it's hard to guess what is wrong not knowing all the details. Why don't you go to the support pages with questions and list of frequent errors to see if you can find answers there. If you are a registered user you can I think use their question and answer pages. Here is the link (don't ask me why it is that long). Probably you have to register and get a login to use them. I do not remember that. But that is how that looks in my browser:

http://sdl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sdl.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=9U1Msw4i&p_lva=1686&p_li=&p_new_search=&p_accessibility=0&p_srch=&p_sort_by=&p_gridsort=&p_row_cnt=802&p_prods=&p_cats=&p_pv=&p_cv=&p_search_type=answers.search_nl&p_nav=foot&p_page_head=1&p_page=1&p_page_foot=2

Alex

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados won't find matches

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »