Thread poster: Austra Muizniece

Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:10
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Nov 28, 2006

Hi all!

I would be very thankful if someone could give me some advice on editing a tag.

I have a rtf.ttx file that contains the following tag:
xr ":ldq TEXT:rdq TEXT" 12

It contains text that needs to be translated, but I can't edit the tag. I've turned the tag protection off, but "edit tag" option is not available through "Edit" menu. I also tried creating a custom tag through DTD settings manager, but it isn't working. I succeeded in creating ldq and rdq tags, but I can't find a way to add "xr" tag. Is there something I've missed?
TagEditor version is

Thanks in advance.

Austra Muizniece

[Edited at 2006-11-28 13:56]

[Edited at 2006-11-28 14:19]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:10
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Edit the original or translated file in rtf Nov 28, 2006

Any editable text should show up in the original rtf format. Even if your text is embedded in some kind of tag (although your example doesn't look like anything I've seen before...), you still should be able to edit that text.

You could either translate the text in question in the original before running it through TagEditor, or after the Trados clean-up.

Vito Smolej
Local time: 07:10
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
a crazy idea... Nov 28, 2006

evidently the tags you are quoting are not recognized by tagEditor. So look up some tag, thats not used up by the rest of the text and globally find and replace the unknowns with knowns. Translate then the file and replace then the replacements by the originals.

Local time: 07:10
English to German
These tags are not meant to be translated Nov 28, 2006

This looks like an S-Tagger (FrameMaker) file. The Trados guide says:

"Cross-references appear in the STF files within the internal tags , where ‘xxx’ is the actual text of the cross-reference as it appears in the FrameMaker file. The text that is being referenced is translated during the translation process and the cross-references are updated when the files are opened in FrameMaker after translation. "

This means even though this tag looks translatable you don't have to translate it.

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:10
English to Spanish
English quotation marks Nov 29, 2006

I think the tag represents English double quotation marks (“xxxx”).

I once opened a similar (but very badly written) thread: where a prozian, Saitch, explained, among other things, that the original file could be FrameMaker.

In my case, the fact that I got the same tag in the original and translated segment was not a problem because the customer was asking me to do this. In your case, for Latvian, you may have to find out how to change the settings if you are you required to change the English double quotation marks to this

„xxxx” whose tag is (:glq)…(:rdq) changing the parethesis for < and > respectively

Sorry, I cannot give you more info

[Edited at 2006-11-30 10:19]

Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:10
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Thanks! Dec 1, 2006

I got a note from the client, saying that the file was indeed created using FrameMaker and that I don't need to translate the tag, since it is a cross-reference, however, now I know I can just edit the RTF file.

Thanks for all the advice!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing tags in TagEditor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs