https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/60534-how_do_i_correct_edit_segments_in_tag_editor.html

How do I correct/edit segments in Tag Editor?
Thread poster: david angel (X)
david angel (X)
david angel (X)
Local time: 21:33
French to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2006

Hi. I feel a bit bad about asking this one...probably the answer is obvious and I'm too dumb to find it..Also, after doing very nicely for three or four months without your help, now I run into a series of problems...
I am using Trados 7.5 with Word 2000.
Usually I translate Word docs with Translator's Workbench and nothing else. But this time, I decided to use Tag Editor with a Word Document. Everything went fine and I now have two files, a doc.ttx file in both languages and a doc f
... See more
Hi. I feel a bit bad about asking this one...probably the answer is obvious and I'm too dumb to find it..Also, after doing very nicely for three or four months without your help, now I run into a series of problems...
I am using Trados 7.5 with Word 2000.
Usually I translate Word docs with Translator's Workbench and nothing else. But this time, I decided to use Tag Editor with a Word Document. Everything went fine and I now have two files, a doc.ttx file in both languages and a doc file in the target language. But I want to go back to the bilingual file and correct - and I have no idea how. The document appears to be "locked". I am sure this is normal, but I'm also sure I ought to be able to revise the document, just as you can when using Trados Workbench straight. (And there's a subsidiary problem: when I press the Preview tabs, nothing happens.)
Collapse

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found part of solution Nov 28, 2006

OK - replying to myself. In order to delete, you have to press CTRL + Del or CTRL + Backspace.
I discovered this by chance, because it came up on tip of the day. But NOWHERE could I find this in the Trados Documentation.

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More replies to myself. Nov 28, 2006

Just in case anyone else needs to know.

Preview may not be working because you haven't switched on Plug-ins. Go to Tools >Plug-ins. Tick TradoStag Viewer if it isn't already ticked. If it is, press the Properties button and fiddle about. That's it!

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:33
Member (2003)
German to French
Open, edit and close the segment Nov 29, 2006

Hi David,

If you need to edit an bilingual .ttx file, just proceed by opening each segment you need to edit, and closing it once finished to save the changes in the TM. Like in a bilingual Word document, actually.
It is the safest way to edit segments and to save changes.

When no segment is open, you can not edit the text (neither source nor target) because the ttx file is protected indeed. If you really want to edit it without opening any segment though, you can
... See more
Hi David,

If you need to edit an bilingual .ttx file, just proceed by opening each segment you need to edit, and closing it once finished to save the changes in the TM. Like in a bilingual Word document, actually.
It is the safest way to edit segments and to save changes.

When no segment is open, you can not edit the text (neither source nor target) because the ttx file is protected indeed. If you really want to edit it without opening any segment though, you can deactivate the document protection in the Options menu, but you have to be careful.

Hope it helps, even if too late
Sylvain
Collapse

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Nov 29, 2006

Many thanks Sylvain. I hadn't worked this one out because in Word with TWB I usually just change the target segment, and the change is saved automatically when you clean up, if, that is, you've checked the right option. It simply didn't cross my mind that I needed to open the segments!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I correct/edit segments in Tag Editor?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »