Mobile menu

Highlight changes to an ITD file in SDLX 2006 (or previous versions)
Thread poster: Gert Sass (M.A.)

Gert Sass (M.A.)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:10
English to German
+ ...
Nov 30, 2006

Hi there,

a client has asked me to hightlight changes while proofreading an ITD file so it would be easier for them to track my changes. Now, I am wondering if SDL includes such a tool (as Word includes) that hightlights changes automatically (usually in Word: Tools>Track Changes, or, in my 2002 edition: Tools>Options>Track Changes). Since the file I received contains an "doc_rtf" extension, I am assuming that it has been converted from .doc and/or .rtf to .itd. In that case, would it be easier to convert back to those formats after finishing?
Any answers highly appreciated


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:10
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
ApSIC Comparator 1.0 Nov 30, 2006

Hallo Gerd,

das Tool soll IDT-Dateien vergleichen können (habe ich noch nicht getestet).

ApSIC Comparator is a freeware tool that allows you to create side-by-side reports with all the changes made to a translation by a reviewer. These comparison reports can be used both to evaluate the quality of the translation and to provide feedback to the translator.

ApSIC Comparator supports Trados bilingual "uncleaned" files (.doc and .rtf), Trados TagEditor files (.ttx), and SDLX files (.itd).

This tool generates a report flagging all the changes implemented by a reviewer, in a similar way to Microsoft Word's "Track Changes" feature. This report can then be edited with the addition of comments and error classification codes.

http://www.apsic.com/en/downloads.html

Geneviève


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:10
English to Spanish
nope, I am afraid Dec 1, 2006

Hi Gert

I am not sure if I have understood the posting properly, but, in case I have..., here goes the answer:

As far as I know, you can't, I mean, you can't in an easy way, there is no function for it. You have two possible longwinded solutions though:

1 - On-line
Now, are you proofreading on-line, or are you downloading/being sent the .itd bilingual file?

I used SDL workflow for a while (I believe it is now called Synergy). In my case, the proofreading was done on-line and, when I received the corrections, the only way I could see the changes (not half as practical as Track Changes) without downloading anything was by clicking into the History button for each segment, it enabled me to see how the segment was in the different stages, I then had to read the segment in both the translation and the proofreading stage and spot the differences...

2 - Off-line
Other than that, the only thing I know, is to compare the documents. It is a very long winded process and I used to do it as a translator, without asking the proofreader to do it for me... Trados is more convinient for this issue, as one can highlight the corrections/inserted text by using colours. Anyway, here is how you can do it with SDLX:

- preview the document in the target language before you do any changes and save a copy of the non-proofread version (go to your folders and rename it, for example, to "whatever_old copy")
- proofread the itd
- when you finish, preview the document again (you could rename it "whatever_new")
- open the new one, activate Track Changes, go to Compare and Merge documents, and open the old file


The only way of doing it with SDLX, as far as I know.

Kind regards,


Marta

[Edited at 2006-12-01 16:48]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gert Sass (M.A.)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:10
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Track Changes command? Where? Dec 1, 2006

Marta Fernandez-Suarez wrote:


2 - Off-line
Other than that, the only thing I know, is to compare the documents. It is a very long winded process and I used to do it as a translator, without asking the proofreader to do it for me... Trados is more convinient for this issue, as one can highlight the corrections/inserted text by using colours. Anyway, here is how you can do it with SDLX:

- preview the document in the target language before you do any changes and save a copy of the non-proofread version (go to your folders and rename it, for example, to "whatever_old copy")
- proofread the itd
- when you finish, preview the document again (you could rename it "whatever_new")
- open the new one, activate Track Changes, go to Compare and Merge documents, and open the old file


The only way of doing it with SDLX, as far as I know.


[Edited at 2006-12-01 16:48]


Thanks a lot, Marta. Your description actually sounds promising. But where would I find a Track Changes command in SDLX (2006)?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:10
English to Spanish
there is none Dec 1, 2006

Hi Gert

As far as I know, there is no TrackChanges option in SDLX, you do not have that option in an itd. That is why I said that the solution is longwinded, because you have to obtain two monolingual Word files (not .itd, which is bilingual), 1 (translated version) and 2 (proofread version), and compare them.

If you have been sent two files, one a bilingual .itd on which you have to make the corrections and one monolingual so that you know which format you are dealing with (...), then basically, I am saying "yes" to the question you made at the begining:
Gert Sass (MA) wrote:
Since the file I received contains an "doc_rtf" extension, I am assuming that it has been converted from .doc and/or .rtf to .itd. In that case, would it be easier to convert back to those formats after finishing?


Your customer seems (if I am right) to be asking you to use a function in SDLX that does not exist.

Regards + Courage! + urwelcome

Marta

P.D.: sorry, I had to edit this posting lots and lots of times untill it made some sense; sorry if you happened to read the first versions... I think that's it now, no more editing

[Edited at 2006-12-01 18:48]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:10
English to Polish
You can compare two ITD files Dec 2, 2006

Marta Fernandez-Suarez wrote:

As far as I know, there is no TrackChanges option in SDLX, you do not have that option in an itd. That is why I said that the solution is longwinded, because you have to obtain two monolingual Word files (not .itd, which is bilingual), 1 (translated version) and 2 (proofread version), and compare them.


You can compare two ITD files. Select Compare from SDLX switchboard and then select original and corrected ITD file.

Wojciech


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gert Sass (M.A.)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:10
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again, everybody Dec 2, 2006

Wojciech Froelich wrote:


You can compare two ITD files. Select Compare from SDLX switchboard and then select original and corrected ITD file.

Wojciech


Dear Wojciech, you are absolutely right. I tried it, and it works marvellously. Thanks for your help.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:10
English to Spanish
thanks indeed Dec 5, 2006

Hi Wojciech

Thank you very much for correcting my huge bundler. I never even looked for the function because I once asked an SDL trainer if there was something to do exactly this and he did not mentioned it. This is why I was so certain (if also completely wrrrong) that it did not exist, sorry Gert.

Great to know it does! I know of four people who will be very happy to know about it. Even better than highlighting manually with colours in Trados, as the whole thing gets done automatically.

Regards,

Marta


[Edited at 2006-12-05 16:24]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Highlight changes to an ITD file in SDLX 2006 (or previous versions)

Advanced search


Translation news related to SDL Trados





TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs