https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/60770-translating_multiple_repetitions_in_tageditor.html

translating multiple repetitions in tageditor
Thread poster: Steven Smith
Steven Smith
Steven Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:08
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
Dec 1, 2006

(Apologies for this basic question; I am new to Trados and couldn't find an answer to this in the documentation.)

I am translating excel files in tageditor with multiple repetitions of headings, etc. At the moment, I translate a term, which goes into the TM, then when I click 'set/close next open/get' it will take me to the next instance of that term and offer the translation. But I have to do this for every repetition - and there are hundreds in these files! Find and replace doesn'
... See more
(Apologies for this basic question; I am new to Trados and couldn't find an answer to this in the documentation.)

I am translating excel files in tageditor with multiple repetitions of headings, etc. At the moment, I translate a term, which goes into the TM, then when I click 'set/close next open/get' it will take me to the next instance of that term and offer the translation. But I have to do this for every repetition - and there are hundreds in these files! Find and replace doesn't seem to work. Is there a way to automate this?

Thanks

Steven Smith
Collapse

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
maybe Dec 1, 2006

I hope someone can correct me if I am not right.

If you do not know which segments are going to be repeated later on in the file, I don't think there is a solution for what you want. In SDLX you have an Autopropagate function that, if activated, translates any repeated segment that appears later on, as soon as you validate its translation; but there is no such thing in Trados.

What you can do in Trados is translate the file automatically with what you have in your m
... See more
I hope someone can correct me if I am not right.

If you do not know which segments are going to be repeated later on in the file, I don't think there is a solution for what you want. In SDLX you have an Autopropagate function that, if activated, translates any repeated segment that appears later on, as soon as you validate its translation; but there is no such thing in Trados.

What you can do in Trados is translate the file automatically with what you have in your memory. So, if you know in advance which segments appear repeated later on, you can do the following...

(I'll explain it as if you were translating an .rtf file, instead of an .xls file. Then I'll go onto Excel)

... do two copies of your original file
... open copy1 with TagEditor and translate the segments
... close copy1 and, in WB (WorkBench), go to Tools>Translate, Add copy2 and click on Translate (make sure that you have "100% match value" on top before clicking in Translate)
... two copies will automatically be saved (eg. one with an .rtf extension and one with a .BAK extension)
... you can then open TagEditor and open, from its screen, the .rtf copy and proceed to translate the untranslated segments

Now, as far as Excel is concerned, it may not work as smoothly. Excel and TagEditor don't get on very well. You may find problems to save the target version if the Excel file you are working on is very long, you may find that Trados works very slowly.

Well, I hope it helps

Regards,

Marta

P.D. if you bought Trados recently, the chances are you will have SDLX also, as it comes in the same bundle. If you do, I would translate it with SDLX (profiting from a faster work with Excel and the Autopropagate function). In order to do that, if you have a TM (memory) already you need to use, you will need to import it into SDLX before you start the translation. It is another software to learn, but it is far easier than Trados.

[Edited at 2006-12-01 18:18]
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:08
English to Danish
+ ...
Translate to fuzzy Dec 1, 2006

Instead of using ALT+Num+ (close/set + open/get), you can use the Translate to fuzzy function (ALT+Num*) - note: used when you have translated a segment that is still open. This automatically translates all 100% matches from the current position and forwards. If a non-100% match occurs, Trados will stop and await user input.
Alternatively, use the Autotranslate function from the Workbench (Tools - Translate). This translates only 100% matches in a file, but then you have to make sure that
... See more
Instead of using ALT+Num+ (close/set + open/get), you can use the Translate to fuzzy function (ALT+Num*) - note: used when you have translated a segment that is still open. This automatically translates all 100% matches from the current position and forwards. If a non-100% match occurs, Trados will stop and await user input.
Alternatively, use the Autotranslate function from the Workbench (Tools - Translate). This translates only 100% matches in a file, but then you have to make sure that all other segments have been translated (easiest with the Translate to fuzzy function), so maybe it's just easiest to just use the Translate to fuzzy function.

Jørgen
Collapse

Steven Smith
Steven Smith
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 1, 2006

Thanks Marta,

You seem to be right about Trados not having an autopropagate function. I find this amazing. It seems like such an obvious necessity for a TM program. Thanks for your other suggestion, but in this case I think it will be quicker to do the whole thing in Excel using Find and replace...

Regards,

Steven

Steven Smith
Steven Smith
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
perfect! Dec 1, 2006

[quote]jmadsen wrote:

That works perfectly. Thanks very much.

Steven

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 02:08
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
why dont you pretranslate ?! Dec 2, 2006

I am translating excel files in tageditor with multiple repetitions of headings, etc. At the moment, I translate a term, which goes into the TM...

you can stop at this very moment, exit TagEditor , and ask TWB to pretranslate your file (tools/translate etc). TWB will "fill in the blanks" for you.

A booster to this approach is to do Tools/analyse and find repeating segments, export them, then translate them (by hand) and import the translation into TM, so that (on the following pretranslation) you get all those segments, that bother you right now, translated "to their final destination".

The idea of a translation memory is very powerful - you just need to feed the animal (g).

smo

[Edited at 2006-12-02 19:56]

Steven Smith
Steven Smith
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 3, 2006

Ah. That sounds easier, and I thought there must be some sort of pre-analysis tool too. I really ought to read the manual! Even so, its still surprising to me that there isn't a single click for propagating 100% matches throughout the document.

Regards

Steven

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translating multiple repetitions in tageditor

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »