Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 17:31
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dec 5, 2006

Dear All,

I'm facing the following dilemma. I have a tagged Trados file to translate. This is a manual with quite a few index entries.

The physical interface (i.e. text appearing on the front panel) of the equipment will not be localized, so the client intructed us to keep button names that appear in square brackets in their original form.

EN [Volume] Knob
HU [Volume] gomb

Such segments are preceded by an (ie) tag, which means "index
... See more
Dear All,

I'm facing the following dilemma. I have a tagged Trados file to translate. This is a manual with quite a few index entries.

The physical interface (i.e. text appearing on the front panel) of the equipment will not be localized, so the client intructed us to keep button names that appear in square brackets in their original form.

EN [Volume] Knob
HU [Volume] gomb

Such segments are preceded by an (ie) tag, which means "index entry".

Now, immediately after such segments what always follows is the same text, without brackets, with an (ss) tag.

My question is what (ss) stands for?

Whether the target texts after the (ss) and (ie) tags must be identical?

Or can I translate the button name after (ss) as follows:

EN Volume Knob
HU Hangerő gomb

Would this cause any conflict when creating the index? For this I would really need to know the function of this (ss) tag.

I plan to deliver the project Tuesday morning European time. I hope there are some night owls out there (or else people in different time zones...)

Thanks,
Csaba

[Módosítva: 2006-12-05 00:59]
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
It's probably sorting order. Dec 5, 2006

It's probably sorting order. Seems that author wanted sort entry "[Volume] knob" as "Volume knob", keeping it as "[Volume] knob" in index (but in "V" section, not in "[" section).

Give me 5 minutes, I will provide you with full info (unfortunately my VPN software doesn't work under Vista, so I cannot access my office desktop now).

Wojciech

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
From S-Tagger 7 User Guide Dec 5, 2006

If an (ie) tag and text is followed by the tag (ss) and additional text, this means that the index
entry should be sorted under some letter other than the first letter of the index entry.
For example, if the index entry ‘Road safety’ should always be sorted under S for safety, then the sort
string for the index entry ‘Road safety’ would be ‘safety’. Such an index entry would be represented
in the STF file as:
(imk 1)
(ie)Road safety
(ss)Safet
... See more
If an (ie) tag and text is followed by the tag (ss) and additional text, this means that the index
entry should be sorted under some letter other than the first letter of the index entry.
For example, if the index entry ‘Road safety’ should always be sorted under S for safety, then the sort
string for the index entry ‘Road safety’ would be ‘safety’. Such an index entry would be represented
in the STF file as:
(imk 1)
(ie)Road safety
(ss)Safety
(/imk)
The resulting index would contain the entry ‘Road safety’ under S instead of R.
Sort string entries should consist of an entire word rather than a letter. However, if the author has
entered only a letter, check the hard copy of the index to determine the letter under which the entry
should be sorted in the target language.
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Dec 5, 2006

bardzo dziekuje za pomosc

Now it makes sense

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(ss) and (ie) tags

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »