nrgetic
nrgetic  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:36
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 5, 2006

Hello,

Does anyone know how to automatically change hard retuns into soft returns in PowerPoint. To do so in Word I use search and replace, but I do not know how to do it in PPT, because there are not the same Search and Replace options.

Alternatively, how can I expand segments in PowerPoint when the segments are separated by hard returns?

Could you please help me?

Thanx!!!

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
No Soft Returns in PPT Dec 6, 2006

As far as I know, PowerPoint only knows hard returns - the whole program and its formatting options are somewhat rudimentary, actually.

My suggestion is that you remove any hard returns that disturb the segmentation before you start translating and, if necessary, re-add them in the finished PPT file.

HTH,
Benjamin

nrgetic
Spain
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx and another question Dec 6, 2006

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks a lot for your help. Do you know if there's any way to remove all hard returns automatically?

Thank you again!

Natalia

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Sorry Dec 6, 2006

I'm afraid that can't (and shouldn't) be done - just think of it: Without any returns, everything would be on a single line...

So, it's going to have to be manual, I'm afraid.

B

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
a stupid question ... Dec 6, 2006

... but Im old enough to allow myself one a day: WHY change hard returns to soft breaks?

If I REALLY wanted to this, Id export the text from PPT into HTML or RTF (and then do global replace, and then translate etc - not PPT anymore of course, but that source). The only real problem then would be getting things back into the PPT form. Just replacing soft breaks back to hard returns - well, it may do the trick....

smo

PS: Have you tried to "expand segments"
... See more
... but Im old enough to allow myself one a day: WHY change hard returns to soft breaks?

If I REALLY wanted to this, Id export the text from PPT into HTML or RTF (and then do global replace, and then translate etc - not PPT anymore of course, but that source). The only real problem then would be getting things back into the PPT form. Just replacing soft breaks back to hard returns - well, it may do the trick....

smo

PS: Have you tried to "expand segments" in TWB? Maybe thats what does what you have intended in the first place....
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
... Dec 7, 2006

Vitomir (Vito) Smolej wrote:

To prevent Trados from segmenting in the middle of sentences, I should guess.

First of all: If you globally replace all hard returns by soft returns, everything is in a single segment. That's no good either, is it? And secondly, going outside of PPT doesn't seem like such a great idea to me because the client will expect to receive a PPT file back, not HTML or RTF.

PS: Have you tried to "expand segments" in TWB? Maybe thats what does what you have intended in the first place....

Expanding the segments is certainly a solution. On a sidenote, though: The command is not in TWB but in TagEditor's "Workbench" menu.

B

nrgetic
Spain
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both! Dec 7, 2006

My intention in the first place is to be able to expand segments, but I cannot do so if there's a hard return... That is why I was asking how to change hard returns... It seems that there's no easy solution for this...

Thanks a lot, anyway, to Benjamin and Vito!!!

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help in changing hard retuns into soft returns in ppt

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »