Maintenance function seems not to work
Thread poster: Mpoma
Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:04
French to English
Dec 8, 2006

hello all,

I've been using Trados 6.5 for some time and I've recently tried using the maintenance function... but when I try to search using Maintenance it never seems to work... for example I put in "potholing" in the target "Find" field and then do a search... and thousands of TUs come up, none with the word "potholing" anywhere near them...

NB my TM is pretty large: about 140,000 TMs...

NB2 anybody care to say what they think about "Oliphant"... ?

Thanks,
Chris

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Martin
Local time: 11:04
German to English
Are you sure you're using the right field? Dec 8, 2006

Basically, you have to use the "Constraints" button to enter the word you're looking for.

If you go to "File --> Maintenance" and click on the "Global Changes" button, you will see "Find what" and "Replace with" fields for both the target and source language. If you're just entering your terms in those fields, then pressing the "OK" button and then "Begin Search", you will end up with basically every unit in your TM being returned. So if you put "potholing" in the "Target Find What" field, it won't find units that contain potholing.

To search for a term, press the "Constraints" button instead, then chose your search criterion. For example, if you want to find the word "potholing" in English, double click the "English" field in the field list on the left side of the constraints screen, then type in *potholing* in the Criterion field. A word of warning, you need to put in the asterisks before and after the word you're seeking. That tells the time to find all units that contain that word anywhere in the English - otherwise it will only find units where the English consists entirely of the word "potholing". When you have that criterion set, click the OK button.

Now on the main Maintenance screen, click on the "Begin Search" button and it should turn up units that contain the word you're seeking. If you want to make changes to these units, then you can use the "Global Changes" button. Let's say you want to change "potholing" to "canary" (sorry, first random word I thought of!). Press "Global Changes", then enter potholing in the Target Find What field and canary in the Target Replace With field. Press OK. You'll return to the main maintenance screen.

Now, when you use the search button, it will find words with "potholing" in the English. If you want to change that word, you can either right click on an individual unit and select "Change translation unit". Potholing will be changed to canary.
If you want to change all of the units that appear on the current search screen, use the "Change button" above the results. And if you want to change all units in your TM without checking them, use the "Change All" button.

I hope this helps! If it doesn't, perhaps more details on the exact procedure you're following would help.

By the way, this will have to get reviewed by a moderator, so I'm sure some member will get their answer in first!

Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, just what I wanted Dec 8, 2006

hi,

that's a great help... my buttons have slightly different names: "Find and replace" for "global changes", and "Filter" for "Constraints"... but it all works!!

perhaps this is very naive of me, but shouldn't the Trados "Workbench Help" have told me this somewhere sort of... obvious?

Nicole Martin
Local time: 11:04
German to English
If it was obvious and helpful, it wouldn't be Trados! Dec 8, 2006

I forgot to mention, I'm working with version 5.5. so some of the names may have changed, but I'm glad to see you still figured it out.

I've come to understand that Trados help is rarely a help. When I look things up in the manual (if they're even in there!) I usually just come to a general realization of how something works and then it takes a bit of trial and error and playing around with it before I actually understand the process. Nothing is ever that obvious, and it doesn't seem user-friendly at all. Maybe later versions are better than mine, but it doesn't sound like it has improved that much.

Whenever I figure out how to use a function I probably won't need that often, I write down exactly how to use it. That way, if I need to do the same thing again weeks or months later, I can refer back to my notes instead of getting frustrated and having to learn it all over again. And believe me, figuring out the maintenance functions took some time! I still need to use my notes if I'm ever searching for units based on the date created or date modified fields.

Well I'm glad I could help with this.

Good luck on your Trados-ing!

Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
can I pick your brains a bit more? Dec 8, 2006

OK Nicole, thanks...

yes like I said, I've been using Trados for quite a bit and have always found the workbench help utterly baffling.

I too have tried to search on "created by" and "modified by" dates... and not succeeded...

Now that you've told me how to crack the basic maintenance search and replace operation I can start doing some maintenance ops that I should've really learnt to do ages ago...

Is there any chance that you could let me into the secret of whatever Trados mysteries you've uncovered, i.e. by sending my your notes???

If this is OK by you, don't worry about making these notes understandable by someone else... I'd be really grateful just to receive the raw jottings or whatever you've got...!

Chris

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 17:04
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"if it obvious..." Dec 8, 2006

shouldn't the Trados "Workbench Help" have told me this

No.

(g)

smo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maintenance function seems not to work

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs