errors in identifying differences?
Thread poster: Mpoma
Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:41
French to English
Dec 8, 2006

hi all,

I've been using Trados (6.5) for quite a long time now and I wanted to ask whether anyone has anything to say about something which very occasionally seems to happen in non-100% matches: I think I'm right in saying that Trados very occasionally appears not to spot all the differences between the new segment (source) and the matched one in the memory...

That is to say that (allegedly) a bit which should be coloured grey or yellow, isn't...

so if one were to base one's editing of the pre-existing translation text on the colour indications one would actually get the translation wrong (allegedly).

anybody had experiences along these lines? is this a recognised "issue"?

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Local time: 10:41
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Huh?! Dec 8, 2006

Can you give us an example? Sounds interesting, but in my case, the half-as*d matches just forced me to read the source and juggle the target around, replace some nouns etc.

Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:41
French to English
no examples to hand... Dec 9, 2006

yes this is OK but the question is: what if one's approach is precisely *not* to be a "hero-translator" eschewing all new-fangled inventions and sticking doggedly to "traditional methods" (hardly any CAT at all). In the long run the techies will inherit the earth, but they have to have good tools...

it all depends how long your sentences are: supposing you're doing a patent with a long list of chemicals in one segment after another, and there is a risk (or you're worried there is) that one word of difference may not be flagged up visually... so you feel you can't trust the difference colour-coding *implicitly and absolutely*... ??

dunno, it needs someone who has had such experiences and is prepared to talk about it... ??

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

errors in identifying differences?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs