Problem with bold type in TagEditor
Thread poster: Julia Martínez

Julia Martínez  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 13, 2006

Hi everyone! I'm translating a file in TagEditor using the SDL TRADOS 7 version. Unfortunately, I've been encoutering the same problem for a long time now, and I'd like to know if there's someone who can help me with it. The problem is the following:

I'm translating a glossary made up of a list of words and their corresponding definitions. In the source text, the words are in bold type, but the definitions -which come right next to each word, but in a separate translation unit- are not. However, when I open the translation unit, Trados automatically gets the translation of that unit already stored in the TM, but it displays it in bold type. Is there a way to prevent the target unit from being displayed in bold type -especially if the source unit is NOT in bold type? Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:50
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Dec 13, 2006

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDL and/or Trados.

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf! Dec 13, 2006

You're right Ralf. My mistake! Thanks for moving the topic.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Problem with bold type in TagEditor Dec 13, 2006

It could be annoying, but it doesn't matter and the formatting of the target text after cleanup won't be affected (in your case, it won't be bold). The only thing that affects formatting in TagEditor are tags.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Same opinion as Hynek Dec 13, 2006

Your experience may be annoying, but I do not think TagEditor (in contrast to the possibilities given the customer in the Word interface) can influence / change fonts. It would be against the very idea of the TagEditor, which is to isolate and translate just the text and leave tags alone. And, if you think of it, what are fonts if not typical tags?...

So I reiterate, I do not think your translation gets a wrong font stored. Of course, there's one way to check this anyway - look at the final output. How does THAT look?

Regards

smo

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 13, 2006

Thanks Vito and Hynek! You were right. There's no need to panic because, after cleanup, the text looks 'normal'.

Thanks again!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Tell me the source file type and I tell you how to get the format display to dissapear... Dec 13, 2006

It´s quite easy - you only have to tell Tageditor in the right filter definition, that it shall not show the formatting.
As you are working on tagged text, the display of formatting is a surplus and completly unnecessary.
So yoz can switch it off - then all text will be displayed in Arial and nothing more, plain as it should be.
It helps very much, as sometimes even Tageditor stored the font formatting in TM and when it changed (from font A to font B) the matches were not 100% anymore...

Best regards
Jerzy

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great tip! Dec 14, 2006

Thanks for your tip Jerzy!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
My tip was not complete Dec 14, 2006

And I hoped for the info about file type.
Nevertheless, for files with filter definition, which can be influenced by Filter Settings fom Trados program group, you should look there and in the corresponding "Display formatting and font mapping" field switch off the "Show display formatting" box.
For files with "ini" definitions you need to edit such definition (the corresponding file may not be open in Tageditor at his time, as you will not be able to edit an opened defintion file). In the ini defintion settings (here for example for html) go to elements, click Advanced and select "Switch the formatting of #lt;FONT#gt; elements of".
This helps also, when text is formatted in any light colour - as sometimes in html or PPT files.

Kind regards
Jerzy

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still a great tip Dec 14, 2006

I just got the Tradostag document directly from the client, together with a .doc file with the original text. I solved the issue following Hynek's suggestion -I just ignored it and when I cleaned up the file, everything was OK, there were no format problems. Anyway, I still find your tip useful for future problems. Thanks once again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with bold type in TagEditor

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs