United States
Local time: 02:54
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Dec 14, 2006

Word XP
Trados 7.1.0.719

I am attempting to translate a Word document with Trados, but I cannot open one single segment! Every time I position the cursor anywhere in the document and click on Open or Open/Get, the cursor just blinks once and nothing happens. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? It is a first for me.

So far, I have tried rebooting the computer, reorganizing the TM, using "Fix Document", and running the clean-up macro - but none of these has made a difference. I also tried using Tag Editor, but I get a message that TagEditor is unable to open the Word document because "it is protected".

As a last resort, I wanted to upgrade to Trados 7.5 (I had had no time until now) but that also didn't work out as Trados didn't recognize neither my e-mail address nor my password. What a headache, but this is something I am dealing with separately - I've already sent a message to Trados.

Any help in opening Word segments would be much appreciated!

[Edited at 2006-12-14 20:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jessica Klingberg  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK... Dec 14, 2006

...as it turns out, I cannot even edit this document without Trados! It looks to be locked, or protected, or something. I guess this answers my question...

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:54
Italian to English
Sounds like a protected Word file Dec 14, 2006

Hi Jessica,

It's probably not a Trados-related problem because it sounds as if the Word file is password-protected.

If you go to the Security tab of the Tools\Options menu in Word, you will see a little box that says "password to modify". The person who created the file inserted a password there, which means that you will need it before you can work on the document.

You can find out more from the Word Help file.

I'm afraid you'll have to get in touch with the person who created the document to find out what the password is.

HTH

Giles

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:54
English to Russian
I had the same problem today. The solution is simple: Dec 15, 2006

open the document select all text , copy and paste into a new document. Your guess is right. It is password-protected.

Jessica Klingberg  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks guys.. Dec 15, 2006

... it was indeed password protected, and I finally got it to work. Your feedback is much appreciated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open a single Word segment with Trados

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs